Logo

Battery(s) recommendation for 1998 , 225 HP Yamaha

Sammy45

My Yahama outboard manual suggests a minimum cold crank of 512 Amps, and minimum reserve capacity of 182 minutes. It does not mention if it should be a STARTING BATTERY or DEEP CELL BATTERY, or one that is maintainence free (sealed) or the other you can fill. Additionally should they be both the same or one of each.

Buy one of each,bigger is better,car type batteries seem to work better than maintenance free ones, Cranking battery is for starting,Deep cell or DeepCycle is for running accessories,lights, bilge, pump, radio,horn. Turn battery switch to#2 after engine has been started. Not beneficial to run switch in the "both" position while underway. Both batteries should be dated similar and from same lot # if possible.

Buy one of each,bigger is better,car type batteries seem to work better than maintenance free ones, Cranking battery is for starting,Deep cell or DeepCycle is for running accessories,lights, bilge, pump, radio,horn. Turn battery switch to#2 after engine has been started. Not beneficial to run switch in the "both" position while underway. Both batteries should be dated similar and from same lot # if possible.

Johnny, I have twin car starting batteries in my boat as I'm not drawing that much current running the things I have when drifting and such. Can you clarify your post in the event I were to switch to one starting battery and one deep cycle in the future... My battery switch has 3 positions 1, Both, and 2. I usually leave it on "both" all the time since I have twin starting batteries dated same. If I switched, would I start with selector on the starting battery and then switch to Both once running to charge both and draw from both while sitting/drifting?

After starting on starting battery,you would switch to#1 or #2 not to both, if you had one of each type of battery,starting, & deep cycle. You would start engine on both setting,then switch to the deep cycle battery.

Buy one of each,bigger is better,car type batteries seem to work better than maintenance free ones, Cranking battery is for starting,Deep cell or DeepCycle is for running accessories,lights, bilge, pump, radio,horn. Turn battery switch to#2 after engine has been started. Not beneficial to run switch in the "both" position while underway. Both batteries should be datedt

Hi Johnnygir, I have been having problems responding on this forum. So I will try a third time. Your original response to me suggested "bigger is better", are you Refering to the physical battery size OR marine cracking amps? I have a very cramped battery locker with two group 24 batteries. Secondly, regarding the starting battery, are you suggesting I use an automotive wet battery over a marine wet starting battery? Thirdly, when it comes time to manually charge my batteries with my automotive charger: Do I connect the charger cables individually to each battery and charge them independently OR connect the positive charging cable to one battery and the negative cable to the other battery? I believe the current batteries are wired in parallel. And also is there any consideration As to the PERKO switch position when Charging these batteries manually? I hope this post reply gets thru this time. THANKS

#1 Cranking amps #2Auto or marine wet ,Not maintenance free types #3Use a marine batt. charger more $$. I would charge each battery separately with perko switch in the off position. They are wired in parallel and could be charged as you mentioned above + on one & - on the other. If you are using boat occasionally there shouldn't be a need to charge them. How ever you charge them make sure key is in the off position!!

Johnny thanks for your reply, since I recently purchased this boat Iam not sure which battery (deep cycle or starting) is connected to position 1 or 2 on the PERKO switch. Is there a simple way to make this determinations?

Back