Logo

1992 Johnson 60 Troubles

EC6BT

I recently bought a small boat with a 92 Johnson 60 on it. When i bought it we ran it on mufs and it sounded fine. I got it home i ran it again on mufs but the thing would not run... I found that the only way i could get it to run was if i turned the fuel valve (service port) on the top of the primer pump to just barely on it would idle fine. I found a crack in the cover of the primer pump the ball was leaking i also changed the fuel pump and fuel filter for good measure (not the stock pump it was converted to non VRO at some point). I have also changed all fuel lines and cleaned the carbs but im running out of ideas i have replaced almost the entire fuel system and still no luck. I have good compression and new plugs in all cylinders as well what am i missing.

first,open gap spark test ,fuel diagnostics last, Troubleshooting 101 . How old is fuel in system?,old gas mixed with new? Is fuel tank clean? Was primer switch on solenoid returned to proper position,pointing towards opposite end? Are you using proper starting technique,priming bulb,turning key to on,pressing key in a few seconds,turning key to start,pressing in choke till she runs smooth Is fuel reaching carbs? Have you tried squirting premix in thru carbs?

In cleaning the carburetors.................

If you did not clean the high speed jets that are located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers, way in back of the drain screws, with a piece of single strand wire, do so as just using solvent doesn't do the job properly.

Also, those very small off center brass tubes that run up the vertical high speed nozzles... clean them using a smaller piece of single strand steel wire (same reason). Those small tubes are slow speed passageways.

In cleaning the carburetors.................

If you did not clean the high speed jets that are located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers, way in back of the drain screws, with a piece of single strand wire, do so as just using solvent doesn't do the job properly.

Also, those very small off center brass tubes that run up the vertical high speed nozzles... clean them using a smaller piece of single strand steel wire (same reason). Those small tubes are slow speed passageways.

I will give it a shot I just used compressed air and carb cleaner last time...

first,open gap spark test ,fuel diagnostics last, Troubleshooting 101 . How old is fuel in system?,old gas mixed with new? Is fuel tank clean? Was primer switch on solenoid returned to proper position,pointing towards opposite end? Are you using proper starting technique,priming bulb,turning key to on,pressing key in a few seconds,turning key to start,pressing in choke till she runs smooth Is fuel reaching carbs? Have you tried squirting premix in thru carbs?

I must have missed that day in Troubleshooting 101 haha. I put new fuel and drained the tank not sure if it was completely clean but I did get the old gas out... I have tried running the primer valve in every position. Wide open, half way, completely closed, the only place it will run is 1/8 turn from closed. Starting tech is rite as far as I know... prime the bulb lift the high idle lever push the key in listen for the primer to click turn key wait for start let it warm up push high idle lever back to idle. Not sure on the fuel reaching carbs I just picked up a spray bottle on the way home I will try spraying carbs with fuel tonight...

Back