Logo

Some kind of bad connection to the motor. HELP

reeves.kyle

Hi,

I am hoping someone could help point me in the right direction. I have a 2007 alumacraft 17ft with a 60 yamaha outboard. Lately when I have been on the water and go to move fishing spots I turn the key to start the motor and nothing happens. The trim also doesn't work. It is not a bad connection on the batteries or bad battery.

What makes me think there is some short in the cables or something is that if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right it will start up. If it doesn't on the first try I keep turning it in the opposite direction. Not sure what the problem would be.

Does anyone have a idea? I would like to see if I can find the problem before I take it somewhere.

Thank you.

Check your wiring harness that goes thru engine cover,look for a pinched wire,loose wire,wires with insulation damage. Check battery connection on starter& solenoid. Pull wiring harness apart look for corrosion,loose pins,ETC, Check all grounds on engine. Check continuity of battery cables from battery to starter,disconnected of course.

You can use a set of auto jumper cables to bypass the battery cables. If that eliminates the problem, then the problem is with the cables. If it doesn't eliminate the problem look elsewhere.

Back