Logo

NS40C clutch dog not fully engaging

Dterry

Contributing Member
Hi all

So I took my boat out over the weekend and when I was going about half throttle the engine revved and the boat would not go faster than idle. I assumed at first maybe my hub went on the prop but I tried my spare with the same result. When spinning the propeller in forward I hear a clicking sound like the clutch is not fully engaged? I cannot spin the prop in the other direction when in forward. Is the gearcase box suppose to click when the clutch meets with the forward gear?

Thanks for the help,dan

Before tearing into lower unit check shift linkage adjustment

Thanks for the reply johnny, I thought the same thing so i did adjust it. The thinner piece of metal on the shift rod is centered in the gearcase box when in forward, is that correct? And is there suppose to be a clicking sound when in forward? The way the dog clutch is shaped it appears that it would just slide over the teeth of the gear and not lock in.

Dan

Yes, it is supposed to ratchet in F.
What on earth is "the thinner piece of metal on the shift rod"?
The shift linkage is fixed. Non adjustable. If it got bent, you would straighten it.
If it is a Remote motor, disengage the shift cable clevis, shift the control to N, and set the shift rod at N, then adjust the clevis to fit over the bellcrank arm without friction.
If the clutch was partially engaged, the sound of grinding would be obvious. You probably have two bad props.

Yes, it is supposed to ratchet in F.
What on earth is "the thinner piece of metal on the shift rod"?
The shift linkage is fixed. Non adjustable. If it got bent, you would straighten it.
If it is a Remote motor, disengage the shift cable clevis, shift the control to N, and set the shift rod at N, then adjust the clevis to fit over the bellcrank arm without friction.
If the clutch was partially engaged, the sound of grinding would be obvious. You probably have two bad props.

Thanks Paul for your input, it's not a remote motor. I'll look for an image to attach and show you what I mean in regards to the shift rod

OK, the cam rod, that attaches to the shift rod via the coupler (which is brass and is retained by two ss roll pins). None of this can be adjusted. Period. What did you "adjust"?
002-21035-3_FIG14.JPG

Last edited:
1. You cannot necessarily shift unless the motor (or the prop) is turning.
2. The cam will click (with significant force) as it goes from R (all the way down) to N to F (all the way up).
3. At the shifter handle, there is a detent ball to help you find and stay in the correct gear.
4. If the clutch were only partially engaged, the grinding would be obvious.
5. You likely have two bad props, unless a component of the shift linkage is bent or missing.

1. You cannot necessarily shift unless the motor (or the prop) is turning.
2. The cam will click (with significant force) as it goes from R (all the way down) to N to F (all the way up).
3. At the shifter handle, there is a detent ball to help you find and stay in the correct gear.
4. If the clutch were only partially engaged, the grinding would be obvious.
5. You likely have two bad props, unless a component of the shift linkage is bent or missing.

Thanks again for your input I will try another prop and see what happens, I'm just surprised that a new prop without significant damage would just fail on me!

Dan

Back