Logo

Overheat Alarm

psekul

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 1999 90 HP Mercury ELTPO. Yesterday, the temp warning buzzer (constant horn) went off. Got towed back to ramp. This morning I turned ignition to on and the buzzer sounded. Obviously, the engine is not overheating, since it had not been run for many hours. I disconnected the brown wire going to sending unit and buzzer continued.

Based on my research, this would indicate a bad ground wire (please correct me if this is wrong). If this is the case, where would the ground wire be located. There are three grounds on the engine and they look to be in excellent condition. I looked under helm but cannot identify the right one.

Also of note - when the motor is running, I can slightly back off the key at which time the instrument panel stops working, but the buzzer quits, while the engine still runs. I assume this would be something that is not associated with the buzzer problem and just a function of a 17 year old ignition switch. But I thought I would mention.

BTW - the remote control is the console mount type with a separately mounted ignition switch and emergency shut off toggle switch.

So what steps should I take to find fix for problem? Thanks for your help.

Back