Logo

Cant get motor to lock in up position

irishc

Hello all, first time poster here... I have been helping my cousin and her kids get to know a little tin boat they brought recently. It is powered with a 9.9 4 stroke merc. As the post title states, we cannot get the motor to stay locked in the up position for when the boat is not in use. It appears that the spacer or tilt tube is just sliding past the tilt lock shuttle when we try to lock the motor in place. All parts seem to be in working order. Is there some sort of adjustment that needs to be made or something? Thanks in advance for your help. I hope my description of our problem is ok. I am brand new to this motor.

Bump. Anyone? I could really use some help with the above post...

Also, a few more questions, different topic. It doesn't appear the motor has an alternator. Is there another part that regulates voltage and keeps the battery charged ie. voltage regulator? The battery voltage while the motor is running is 12.1. I have always thought it should be up around 13.5 when the engine is running. What should the battery be charging at? My niece broke a solar trickle charger that was attached to the battery. Is this nessesary to keep the battery charged fully in the absence of an alternator? Sorry for so many dumb questions but I don't want the kids to get stuck out there.

Last edited:
Look under the carriage see if there is a plastic knob that locks. If there is pull it out, some mercs have a knob on the tilt that will lock the motor in the tilt position for trailering and and running when it is used as a kicker motor. If that gets engaged while the motor is down it will not allow the motor to lock up as the tilt pin slides past it. Does the motor have electric start if it does should have an alternator. Put pics up of the powerhead.

Thank you for your reply. I will check for the knob. The motor is a pull start so I guess no alternator. Will post pics.

solar panel needed to charge battery, Why is there a battery on board,do you have accessories,lights,radio,electronics on board? The battery is not necessary to run engine or start it. The flywheel and stator produces the spark.

Back