Logo

mid 90s yam 3 cyl 30hp - throttle travel not reaching WOT, carbs not opening 100%??

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi all - im helping a friend get his 30hp running.. some guy went and tinkered with the timing etc(!), so i reset the marks per the manual (i have to add, what a great setup yamaha! genius! no need for a timing light! - i might do the same with mariner / trigger :) -

anyway.. so the timing is now set at 5 ATDC and WOT at 25 BTDC (using magneto marks and flywheel)..

1. first thing i noticed, is the top and bottom carb butterflies are not in sync with middle carb, they seem to open later.. surely this is wrong?
  2. I set the carb link via the 3 screw plates right? those things are so tight we couldnt get them to budge!
  3. When i disconnect the throttle cable and move the throttle manually from idle to wot, the timing marks are perfect, however when we hook up the throttle, it does have enough travel to reach WOT? im not too familiar with yam boxes, this is the regular 701 type i think.. do they have a way of setting it for more travel, or could the guy have switched the gear and throttle cables? I know some guy tinkered with it and switched something - not sure..

Surely all three carb butterflies should be 90 degrees at WOT? and is there an idle circuit cos we cant get it to idle unless screwing the carbs waaay open?

thanks all! hoe to get him up and running!

fyi new fuel lines, hoses, fresh fuel, new plugs, mixture 100:1 :) will do spark gap test and compression test bit later, motor looks really neat - fresh water!

I say all three carbs should open exactly the same. Any carb that doesn't and runs lean compared to the other two at WOT or throughout the RPM range runs the risk of fried rings/scored cyl walls/melted cylinder head as it will be running lean and not getting the same amount of fuel (and the lubricating oil in it) as the other two.

Can't comment much on the cables... Is this a single lever throttle/shifter actuating two cables or seperate throttle & shift levers each actuating its own cable? There should be adjustments for the cables in engine where the plastic sleeves that house the push/pull rods inside the cables are anchored to a bracket. Are there some adjustable rings that allow you to move the cable housing fore and aft thereby adjusting the throw of each rod in either direction? When you move from WOT on the throttle to closed/idle/neutral position does the throttle linkage in the engine reach the fully closed position before the throttle lever fully reaches idle/neutral position? if so is sounds like it needs adjusted such that it reaches fully closed/idle when the throtle lever reaches the idle/closed/neutral position... That adjustment should equate to more travel as you advance from idle to WOT.

Back