Logo

91 omc 5.8l

gmarr

Hi - I'm looking at a Chris Craft 1991 Crown with Twin OMC Cobra outdrives. The boat already has one issue, wet but not rotted stringers and got a credit to have her 'dryboated' so thats not a big issue.

The question for today and i'm not a mechanic by any means is that both outdrive housings have a lot of corrosive pitting and need to be worked on as well... again, got that factored into the pricing. Based on the two issues i really wanted to know if anything else may be an issue so paid a mechanic to do compression tests on both engines. One came out great - 150 on all cylnders. The other engine however came out with - but cylinder:
1 -135
2 - 115
3- 125
4 - 85
5 - 118
6 - 115
7 - 140
8 - 126

Can i get anyone's feed back on that? The mechanic suggested a leak down test as a next step - but its almost $900 as they need to remove the engine to get at it to do it properly. Since i already have a survey with one issue to deal wiht and paid for, and paid for teh compression test - i'm thinking not to go to the next steps.

The broker says 'its worknig, don't worry about it or worry about it when it doesn't work. To me, i wasn't looking for 'that much' of a project boat...

Your thoughts?

Nothing free or cheap ends up being either. I hope that you haven't given anyone any actual money yet. I would walk away now before this sucks every drop of blood from you.

I'm looking at a Chris Craft 1991 Crown with Twin OMC Cobra outdrives.

Ayuh,.... So keep Lookin',... You've wasted enough money on that rotten barge with a bad motor, 'n rotten drives that parts ain't sold for,....

Back