Logo

2010 20 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke, Will pull start , but electric start is not working

skiffmarlin33

The other day I ran up the bayou a few miles, then shut her down at a sandbar to swim. When I went to leave the electric start would not work. So, I back up pull started it, and made my way back in just fine. Now my electric start wont work, and it wont shift into reverse unless cranked. I checked fuses, and I'm pretty sure the connection from battery to motor is good. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Pull cables from battery and clean terminals and all wiring connectors thoroughly. Clean grounds at starter& solenoid also. Fully charge battery and have load tested at a/parts store. If battery passes test ,check for 12.4-12.8 volts at battery terminal on starter,and solenoid. Check for continuity on cables from battery to starter+&-,disconnected from batt with dvm.

Pull cables from battery and clean terminals and all wiring connectors thoroughly. Clean grounds at starter& solenoid also. Fully charge battery and have load tested at a/parts store. If battery passes test ,check for 12.4-12.8 volts at battery terminal on starter,and solenoid. Check for continuity on cables from battery to starter+&-,disconnected from batt with dvm.

Once again, as I've stated previously... The #1 best investment one can make is in a Multimeter or DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and watch a few youtube videos on how to use it before you start playing around with it. For less than $20 you can have a diagnostic tool in your hand that can save you $1000's.

Back