Logo

1997 200 hp johnson ocean runner

luckerson

Here's the problem.The motor runs fine at idle in gear,when I power up to full throttle the motor sputters,shakes,and wants to shut down.A friend said his motor had the same problem and he replaced the power pack on the motor and that was the fix.Could this be my problem also.Looking for advice,Thanks!!

That motor has the OIS200 ignition system. Do an internet search for OIS 2000 troubleshooting and you'll find several guides to systematically diagnose the problem and replace only the necessary parts. The power pack is certainly one possibility, but there are several pieces in the ignition chain that could be the issue. If you just start replacing parts you'll spend a $$Bunch$$ of money quickly and unnecessarily.

KJ

That motor has the OIS200 ignition system. Do an internet search for OIS 2000 troubleshooting and you'll find several guides to systematically diagnose the problem and replace only the necessary parts. The power pack is certainly one possibility, but there are several pieces in the ignition chain that could be the issue. If you just start replacing parts you'll spend a $$Bunch$$ of money quickly and unnecessarily.

KJ

Nope sorry, no OIS. Need more info to accurately diagnose.

1. Compression Test
2. Spark Test
3. Run on NEW 89-93 Oct Fuel from an alternate source.. portable tank ( if VRO is connected, then don't add oil, if it's not then add proper mix of 2 cycle oil )
4. Provide more info on results, does it go away above 2500 rpm?
5. Does it Idle 800-1000 in water ?? 600-800 in water ??
6. have you checked/changed your water/fuel separating filter ?

KJ
OK,thanks much

Uh...did you ignore my post? THIS MOTOR DOES NOT HAVE OIS IGNITION.

Go ahead and research it, apply the concepts learned when studying OIS, and get back to us when you run into problems.

Read the posts.

Back