Logo

80's 140HP Lower Unit Oil Seal Replacement Help Guide!

Blackshaw

Hopefully I can save you some trouble. I finally got my old oil seals out after fighting them for several days! I tried drilling a hole and putting a screw through the seal and that did not work for me at all. I tried several different things so let me save you sometime and say what works. First off take the 4 bolts down inside the bullet on the backside of the bearing carrier out and replace the orings behind them before reinstalling. I think the bolts are 3/8. Go to autozone and rent a timing gear puller. Make sure you get this kind and not a harmonic balance puller. When you return the puller they give back your 30 or 40$. Go to Ace hardware and get a 5/16 -18 piece of all thread and 4 washers. Cut the all thread in half with a hack saw and do a little filing to clean up the end. Screw the all threads into the holes inside the bearing carrier by doubling the nuts on the end of each all thread then a 13mm or 1/2 inch end wrench or air ratchet will screw the all thread in nice and far. Now remove the nuts and slide the timing gear puller over the all threads and put the washers and nuts down tight onto the timing gear puller. Now this is important. Take a big crescent wrench and use it to bite the timing gear pullier in order to hold it stable from flopping to the left or the right. It may take an assistant to hold it steady while you wrench on it. Take a good air impact wrench and hammer on this sucker and it will come right out. Mine was very very difficult to get out after 30 plus years of being inside there. If this got mine out im sure it will get any of yours out and it is very cheap method. I also rented a pilot bearing puller and the slide hammer that comes with it and pulled the oil seals from the bearing carrier that way after i got the carrier out. It is worth doing it this way, because if you knick your prop shaft trying to get the seals out without removing the bearing carrier your new seal will never hold and new prop shafts are like 600$.. Anyways I went through alot of time and trial and error to finally find this method so wanted to share. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hopefully I can save you some trouble. I finally got my old oil seals out after fighting them for several days! I tried drilling a hole and putting a screw through the seal and that did not work for me at all. I tried several different things so let me save you sometime and say what works. First off take the 4 bolts down inside the bullet on the backside of the bearing carrier out and replace the orings behind them before reinstalling. I think the bolts are 3/8. Go to autozone and rent a timing gear puller. Make sure you get this kind and not a harmonic balancer puller. When you return the puller they give back your 30 or 40$. Go to Ace hardware and get a 5/16 -18 piece of all thread and 4 washers and two nuts. Cut the all thread in half with a hack saw and do a little filing to clean up the end. Screw the all threads into the holes inside the bearing carrier by doubling the nuts on the end of each all thread then a 13mm or 1/2 inch end wrench or air ratchet will screw the all thread in nice and far. Now remove the nuts and slide the timing gear puller over the all threads and put the washers and nuts down tight onto the timing gear puller. Now this is important. Make sure your timing puller is threaded as far out as possible so the length starts short or it will flop over to one side or the other. Take a big crescent wrench and use it to bite the timing gear puller in order to hold it stable from flopping to the left or the right. Take a good air impact wrench and hammer on this sucker and it will come right out. Mine was very very difficult to get out after 30 plus years of being inside there. If this got mine out im sure it will get any of yours out and it is very cheap method. I also rented a pilot bearing puller and the slide hammer that comes with it and pulled the oil seals from the bearing carrier that way after i got the carrier out. It is worth doing it this way, because if you knick your prop shaft trying to get the seals out without removing the bearing carrier your new seal will never hold and new prop shafts are like 600$.. Anyways I went through a lot of time, trial and error to finally find this method so wanted to share. Hope this helps! Maybe an admin can make it a sticky!!!

Last edited:
Back