Logo

Pennzoil

SuperT

Regular Contributor
I just returned from a week in Ontario fishing/trolling for walleyes. Before we left I mixed 6 gal non blended using Pennzoil synthetic blend oil to use in my Johnson 4.5 That stuff is filthy burning, the back of the lower unit of the engine (being white to begin with) was coated black from the bypass exhaust. I've always had some crud when trolling for days but nothing like this. It took me a couple hours to finally get it clean again. I'll never buy that stuff again.

I have heard nothing good about penzoil outboard oil yet, Is your outboard running any differently while using this product? Fouled plugs,lack of WOT??:(

Last edited:
I have heard nothing good about penzoil outboard oil yet, Is your outboard running any differently while using this product? Fouled plugs,lack of WOT??:(

Well, yes and no.
I had to increase the idle so it wouldn't die when going from trolling to idle when a fish was on but ran great when you upped the rpm's some. Pulled plugs when I got home and both were getting fouled and that's never happened before. Put a new set in.
The lower unit that was in the water was even discolored black, and the back of the down shaft was crusted with what looked like burnt on oil from upper exhaust. ... crazy. Motor cleaned up well with degreaser but I wonder what the inside of the exhaust looks like and if it'll ever clean up?
I've had this motor for a bunch of years and nothing like this has ever happened before.
I also checked LU oil to see if something there was contributing to the problem, but it was full and clean. Changed it out anyway.
I should have taken a pix for an easy show & tell. Really hard to picture what I'm talking about.

After using up the penzoil switch to something better. Running sea foam thru system should decarb the internals. After decarb clean plugs thoroughly or replace them. Take her out for a good run at higher RPMS to clean her out. This should be done after an extended trolling session everytime you fish!!

After using up the penzoil switch to something better. Running sea foam thru system should decarb the internals. After decarb clean plugs thoroughly or replace them. Take her out for a good run at higher RPMS to clean her out. This should be done after an extended trolling session everytime you fish!!

We ran out of the 6 gal around noon Friday and decided not to get more gas because we were leaving Sat morning. I always did run at hi rpm's for about 10 min when we were done fishing. But as bad as this was, I'd have needed to run 5 mi to try and clean out. A heavy dose of SeaFoam is in order for sure.

We ran out of the 6 gal around noon Friday and decided not to get more gas because we were leaving Sat morning. I always did run at hi rpm's for about 10 min when we were done fishing. But as bad as this was, I'd have needed to run 5 mi to try and clean out. A heavy dose of SeaFoam is in order for sure.
Pennzoil works good for bar oil on a chainsaw I would not use it for anything else. I prefer valvoline outboard two stroke oil. Check the timing with a timing light just connect it to any 12v battery and shine it under the flywheel at the two lines on the points plate. The single line on the flywheel needs to be in between the two lines on the plate. Adjust point gap to move the timing marks one for each plug wire. It can be time consuming but well worth the effort on engine performance. Be sure and torque the flywheel to spec before starting the motor.

Back