Logo

Help with brand new Tohatsu MD35 Jet

muskyonfly

I just purchased a boat with a brand new Tohatsu 50/35 TLDI jet. It's an amazing motor. Lots of power and light weight. My problem is that sometimes when I am out in the boat it will not run at top RPM. I have changed gas, fuel filter, verified battery charge (brand new interstate). It's intermittent. Sometimes it runs perfect and the next day it doesn't have that extra few RPM's I know it has. I called Tohatsu and they said it might be the air compressor inside the motor that pulls that gas from the tank. If it's not pulling enough fuel then the engine won't run at it's peak level. Also sometimes after stopping and starting the engine half a dozen times when I give it throttle it will die on me. If I pump the fuel bulb it starts right back up. Today instead of dying it just stuttered for a second and kept running. I am trying to at least identify the problem. My nearest dealer for warranty repair is 4 hours away. Any help is very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Have u tried priming bulb constantly to attain WOT,top rpms. This would point in the direction of a fuel delivery issue,fuel pump-air compressor.

The air compressor does not pull gas from the tank. Dunno what you are describing, but I suggest you try Johnny's idea.

I ran the boat today from sun up until about noon. It was cool this morning ( 75 degrees) by noon it was in the low 90's. I put in at the ramp and ran to the spot I wanted to fish. The motor was running good. I GPS'd on my phone 27mph. It continued to run this way all the way back to the ramp (about 10:30). I trailered to another ramp and immediately the motor was back to running at 90%. I stopped and pumped the fuel bulb but it did not change anything. I GPS'd myself again and I was running 24 MPH. It's not a huge difference, but it is something. At this point I'm fairly certain it's a fuel issue. I am running a 6 gallon Tohatsu tank with a fuel/water filter between the tank and the boat. I just changed the fuel/water filter yesterday. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the heat? My gas tank is not covered like most boats. It sits in the rear of the boat so it is defiantly exposed to the sun

When engine dies what's the status of the fuel primer bulb,flat,firm,half filled would be normal. Rock hard,usually defective bulb. Is vent open Fully on tank? Air leaks somewhere? Look for possible fuel leaks under the hood,connections at tank,engine,filters, Primer bulb installed in correct direction, What type of fuel are you running,ethanol85?

The water separator is supposed to be between the priming bulb and the motor for best performance.
Does your battery have enough CCA? TLDI motors should have 1000 CCA for cold weather... in your case, probably 1000 MCA would be OK.
Do you have a tachometer on the motor? Would be interesting to see what the two different tach readings are. Also, a tech is needed in order to diagnose the motor by reading out the ECU memories.

Johnny
Anytime I go to pump the bulb it is firm. 3 squeezes and it's firm. I am going to check tomorrow to make sure the primer bulb is installed in the proper direction. I am using Ethanol fuel but I am using a ethanol reducing additive.

Pvanv
My water separator is between the bulb and bulb. My battery is a Interstate battery with the appropiate 1000CCA. I do not have a tach on the motor. If I can't identify a fuel problem I'm gonna have to make a 4 hour trip to my nearest dealer

I checked this morning and the fuel bulb is pointed in the right direction. I am going to get another gas tank and fuel line and hook it up and see if it makes a difference

Back