Logo

2 HP 2stroke carb help

geomy

My 1999 2 hp Yammy (2MSHY) will only stay running with the choke engaged. I have already removed the carb and did a cleaning. Lots of cheese in there after sitting for 5 years. Cleared out all passages and jets; cleaned bowl. Didn't do any gaskets or seals. Didn't mess with float & valve.
Must be too lean right? Only one adjustment screw--"Pilot Screw" according to engine diagrams on the web. It is currently set at 2 ¼ turns out. I have tried to tweak it in/out but it makes no difference.
Can anyone help out?
Is the pilot screw for adjusting fuel or air?
Any idea of proper setting?
Something I might have missed?

Thanks

You still have a fuel restriction issue. Are you using old tank,fuel lines, old fuel mixed with new? Was fuel pump cleaned,serviced,Is there a filter that needs replacing? If carb was gummed up so is pump. You might want to look at water pump for dry rot on impeller 5 years??

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I re-cleaned the carb and went a bit deeper-- disassembled everything.
Reset retaining clip on main jet needle to run richer. She's purrin' now.
By the way all you lucky Yammy 2HP people -- that single "pilot screw" on the left of the carburator adjusts how far down the throttle valve and main jet needle sits at minimum throttle. It is sort of a "stop" so you don't kill the engine when you set the throttle at its lowest point.

Back