Logo

Yamha caburetor mystery/problem

CL sailor

I have a 2004 Yamaha T50TLRC that I bought used last year. This spring I rebuilt the four carbs. The motor starts and idles perfectly. It runs well at low, medium and high speeds. The only problem is accelerating from low (apx. 1500 rpm) speed where it stalls out unless I accelerate slowly. Accelerating from about 3000 is no problem. I then synchronized the carbs., and tried adjusting the dashpot (acceleration pump) but the problem still exists.

The only thing I can think of is that I may have missed some obstruction in the carb. air adjustment bypass holes when cleaning these carbs. - but there are none or they seem inaccessible! Both the service manual and the parts diagrams show an air adjustment screw ("pilot screw") yet there are only brass plugs where these screws are supposed to be located - just above the throttle butterfly shafts. So, the mysteries are: why no adjustments for air mixture and why plugged off? Why are there no service bulletins or diagrams showing these modifications and explanations? Can these plugs be removed without damaging the carbs? Is this even necessary?

I tried, but cannot seem to upload a picture of this cabr. set-up.

Besides this mystery, any other suggestions on this stalling problem?

Plugs can be drilled out carefully and removed with a small easyout. PLugs have been used for years so u would have to bring outboard to dealer for repairs $$$.

Back