Logo

Temperature indicator and alarm at start-up

Alastair

Hi - I hope someone can help me with this one.

I have 2005 Johnson 115hp V4 outboard (J115PXSO). While flushing the engine recently the temperature alarm sounded and the red light came on. After about 15 seconds the sound alarm went off but the indicator light remained on. The water was venting OK, was not overly hot and the engine did not appear to be overheating. I was due to do an impeller change anyway so I completed this today. On starting the engine the system goes through its check (oil, water etc) but then the red temperature light comes on together with the temperate alarm beep. Again after about 15 sec the alarm stops but the red light remains on. There appears to be no problem with the water pump; the exit water flows strongly (much stronger than before the impeller change) and is cool and there are no obvious signs that the engine is overheating. Also, given that the alarm occurs at a cold start it is unlikely that it is a powerhead temperature problem. Is this a temperature sensor issue - is there a need to reset something after it triggered prior to the impeller change. Are there be other causes and is there a systematic way of testing this and eliminating the various potential causes?

Suggest that you post your question on the Johnson/Evinrude Forum on this site. Go to top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" then scroll down to the Johnson/Evinrude forum.

Back