Logo

1983 and 1992 Evinrude 115 V4 #1 Cylinder Scoring

Zigblazer

I have a 1983 Evinrude 115hp V4. ModelE115TLCTE. Got it 3 years ago, rebuilt the lower unit, rebuilt 1carb, replaced the other, replaced all 4 coils and 1 power pack,along with all the fuel lines big and small. Ran great most of thetime. Have it on my 24ft pontoon went through 2 props trying to fixa ventilation problem. When it ran well it, and didn't suck air, itwould push about 20mph at about 5000 rpm. When it didn't it wouldmax out at 10 mph around 3000 rpm. Seemed random, didn't happen morehot or cold. I tried different coils, plug wires, power packs,checked head temps, and couldn't find a problem, or make it changehow it acted. I believe it was dropping a cylinder when it washaving the problem. There would be a small pop and it would rungreat again. When I got it, it had around 110 psi in all 4 holes forcompression. It looked like it had been rebuilt at one point intime, and today I took off the heads and confirmed that it had. Ithad 0.030” over pistons and some sort of poor mans porting on theports. I'll admit I'm not a 2 stroke tech in the least, but I'verebuilt a few car/truck engines and worked on trucks for a few years,so I figure I can at least replace parts. I usually slow down to acrawl and keep testing it until it pops and works right again.

We got plenty of use out of it aroundthe 4[SUP]th[/SUP], and it seemed to be running well, rarely had aproblem, and it would only last a minute or two when it did. Then itwouldn't snap out of it towards the end of the week. At the sametime it became really hard to start and keep running. I could get itto start, but it would stall if I idled down to shift into gear.

I tried again after it cooled down. Didn't want to snap out of the bad running again. I gave up and gotsick of trying to figure out what was going on and took it into adealer. It took a week before they even looked at it. They calledand told me compression on #1 cylinder was only 30 psi and # 3 was80psi. They said #1 was very scored and it needed a rebuild. Theydid not tell me what would have caused it, or cause my intermittentlow power. If I am correct in my thinking, I'm guessing it had afuel problem getting to #1 and when it would be low on power it wasstarving the #1 cylinder. Most of the scoring is from the top insideports (closer to the opposing cylinders). I'm not familiar enough toknow if they are the intake or exhaust ports, but that's where thescoring starts.

I picked up a 1992 115hp Johnson todaywith a known scored cylinder. Took the heads off, and found scoringin the same place and the same way as mine. Along with some piece ofmetal that ran through and destroyed the piston.

The VRO is long gone on both.

Whatcauses scoring in the top left of the #1 cylinder starting at the topof the ports? I'll try rebuilding to get one good powerhead, butwould like to correct the cause of the problem before I ruin anothermotor.

Any ideas?

Also is there a good shop to have theblock bored and prepped anywhere around Duluth or the twin cities?

The scoring is usually caused by a lean running condition,not enough fuel/oil mixture reaching cylinder,gummed up carb.jets clogged,etc. Your metal was likely a piston ring or a piece of the piston skirt, Those were the intake&exhaust ports! Wait for other replies for a good reputable machine shop.

Back