Logo

2001 Mercruiser 5.0L EFI Ebbtide Mystique 2100

shumbard

Hello all,

New here and like most have joined hoping for help figuring out what my issue is. Bought this one owner boat about a month ago with 472 hours on it. Boat ran great on test drive. Took it out a few times testing it and not doing any long trips and just cruising around. Decided to make a 9 mile trip up to the dam making a couple of stops to jump in the water and cool down. Ran most of the 18 mile trip running about 25mph. Boat ran great with no issues.

Next weekend had a little more confidence in it and took another trip in opposite direction to another dam. Ran a little faster on trip down which was around 7 miles again stopping to swim a little. On the return trip ran even faster stopping once to cool off in the water for a few minutes and then opened her up to 46mph for the last 2.5-3 miles back to the dock. When I got there I found several boats coming in as well as launching and had a little wait time. I cut engine off a couple of times waiting my turn. Last time I fired it I idled forward about 40 feet and it just died. I tried to restart a few times. Twice it started and the RPM's fluctuated up and down a few times and died. Then it just would not start so I paddled over the last 50 feet to ramp and took it home.

Went back to lake next Wednesday fired right up and ran fine. Didn't run it hard and only stayed an hour or so.

Next weekend back in the water did some tubing and skiing with no issues.

Tuned boat up as I had not done this since purchasing it. Changed plugs, wires, distributor cap and button and took out for a test. Boat ran noticeably better and had no issues but didn't stay out long as it was later in day on Friday.

Took my pontoon out Saturday.

Sunday back in the water. Cruising around waiting on friends to arrive. Ran several miles.... different lake... to dam and back. Took a beer break. Ran several more miles all the while running mostly in the 30's and 40's mph range. Friends arrived and we sat on their houseboat until storms passed for about 45 minutes and we loaded up and went for a ride. We ran several miles up the lake running pretty hard and back down towards marina to a cove to swim. I had forgotten my anchor as I had put it in the pontoon the day before so I had to fire up and relocate a couple of times. The third time I tried to reposition the boat would not start. After several cranks we could smell fuel so I stopped and decided to swim for a while and wait it out. In about an hour we loaded up and gave it a crank. It fired and ran a few seconds and died. I tried again... it fired and I immediately threw it in gear and to wide open throttle. It surged up and down 6-7 times and I thought it was going to die but it finally took off and ran great. We made it the last 1.5miles back to the marina and it idled all the way back to his houseboat. We set around for a few hours... it fired right up and idled back over to boat ramp.

Any ideas what the issue may be?
Thanks

Back