Logo

Lower Carter side draft carb flooding

63Tollycraft

Sorry if this issue is on the forum somewhere I could not find it.

I have a 1963 Tollycraft with a Ford Interceptor 292 with side draft Carter carbs. I had the carbs completely rebuilt 5 years ago and they have worked fine until now. Here's the problem now:after running the boat for a while when I slow to idle my lower carb floods (sometimes enough to kill the engine). Once the engine has died due to flooding or I have turned it off the lower carb drains out fuel...a lot of fuel. I assume this is related to the float/needle valve/seat. I have inspected these parts in both carbs and have nothing incriminating so far. Could it be that due to the alcohol in the fuel these days that I just need to replace the needle valve/seat again? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Dave

I think you hit the nail on the head,The ethanol could be eating up the rubber seal on the needle valve, Check for debris in seat,does not take much. Check float level carefully, Is float binding on bowl? Is float floating? Binding mechanism on hinge side?

I think you hit the nail on the head,The ethanol could be eating up the rubber seal on the needle valve, Check for debris in seat,does not take much. Check float level carefully, Is float binding on bowl? Is float floating? Binding mechanism on hinge side?

Thanks johnny. I have inspected the seat, needle valve, float, etc and NOTHING stands out to me. But maybe the rubber tip on the needle valve is just warn from the stupid fuel I have to use that it is not seating right. Thanks for the ideas on the float...I'll look at it again.

Back