Logo

stator size

circle hook

Regular Contributor
hello I have a 1990 135HP mercury how do I tell if I have a 16 amp or 40 amp stator, the windings are copper and not covered in plastic I believe its a 40 amp but not for shur.

thanks Bob

the cover over the flywheel has a number of vents & the coils under the flywheel have no plastic there just open copper can pictures be added to this site

faztbullet could you look at the pictures and see if it is indeed a 40 amp system because I am doing to do a DVA test and the 16 amp and 40 amp are different. I burnt the inner switch box and want to see if the stator is working up to par. the trigger must be good because I switched box's and the opposite bank started to fire.

Thanks Bob

faztbullet on the bias test should I do it with the switch box i know is burnt out, or install the new switch box first and test the new one or will i burn the new one out. and if the bias test is to fail what do i need to replace then.

i think the bias circuit is in both the switch boxes and i guess i need to do the test on both boxes is this correct

Thanks Bob

Back