Logo

225 ox66 problem. Just replaced all fuel pumps

Js sea ox

I just changed all pumps plus vst and pump. Had two good trips now doing the same as before even worse stalls ect had to start first thing I did was change onboard 10 mic filter which was new and had crap in it and I saw that fuel ball was squeezed in as if the filter wasn't giving it enough fuel changed filter same problem. Back at dock opened screw at vst tank fuel clean but not a lot came out tapped tank it got a little better ran it again and same thing engine stalled Thoughts?? Frustrated here. Emptied rank when I changed. Pumps with gas station 93 fuel three weeks old

Fuel bulb squeezed and sucked in? That says everyting... You have a blockage in the fuel line before your fuel squeeze ball that is creating a vacume. I've said it many times here... Pull the fuel pick-up line that runs into the bottom of your main fuel tank and see if the manufacturer placed a little filter on the end of that fuel pick up. If they did.. CUT IT OFF AND THROW IT AWAY! That it the "ghost filter" that no one knows about or thinks of and never should have been placed there as other filters that are accessable along the way are going to do their job. I bet that is is your problem.

Last edited:
Thanks will give it go. Secondary socked on tight so maybe it's a big vacuum boat started right up but primer ball still squeezed in and doesn't want to fill with fuel so hoping clearing a restricted fuel line is it. Thanks will let you know how I make out

Yeah first thing I did. I opened up fuel cap. Actually put 24 gallons back in hopefully that would do it but after ten minutes went back to same .... Bled vs tank and a small amount of fuel came out I was thinking maybe float suck ?? Tapped a few times than primer bulb would send thru but not as strong as I would think. All fuel that came out was nice and clean. Ran it but same as before. Primer bulb ( new Yamaha ) not getting fully hard gonna change on board filter again and than clean/check fuel pick up as suggested

The problem with the "ghost filter" on the fuel pick-up line in the bottom of the tank is you can't suck ALL the fuel out of the tank and even if you could debris that could have been in there since manufacture is going to sit on the bottom. You suck all the fuel out, debris is now sitting on the bottom of the tank. You add new fuel, it gets stirred up again. You start running and the fuel starts being sucked throught that little filter... it clogs up. You shut down, suction falls off, fuel sloshed around in the tank and some of the crap that was clogging the filter falls off... you start running again and after a while the filter clogs up again. No one can figure out what is wrong and it's that $2 ghost filter that never ever should have been placed on the end of that fuel pick-up line. I will be shocked if you don't have one there and when you pull it you don't find it partially clogged. Again... CUT IT OFF AND THROW IT AWAY. DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN IT OR REPLACE IT or you'll have the same problem show up over and over again. Let the large, main in-line filters filter out that debris in the fuel tank as they are much larger and can filter far more debris than one of those little fuel line pick-up filters.

The bottom line is too many filters are a BAD thing. I've seen some boats that have a pick-up line filter, an inline fuel/water seperator filter, a filter/water seperator filter under the cowling, then another inline filter to the VST tank (which has yet another filter on the botttom of the HP fuel pump which feeds the fuel injectors WHICH HAVE FILTERS IN THEM AS WELL! That's how many filters that can clog and cause problems? WAY TOO MANY! Great for those who sell filters, bad for us who are trying to figure out where the friggin' blockage is!

Last edited:
Ok so started at filter and worked back to tank. Cleaned anti siphon which had some crud in it flushed it than blew out pick up was clean ( did not take it out ) but no resistance blew out line to filter that was clear reconnected everything and fuel ball still sucked in took of hose from filter to fuel bulb and saw it was plugged with the plastic Liner of the fuel line collapsed I also saw a similar clog on motor side of bulb running a little better but still stalling out. Fuel in filter on this time took out anti siphon and replaced it with a straight up fitting flo better but fuel bulb ( new) still not getting hard as I would expect

I didn't take pick up out I guess next step was also going to change fuel line to motor the inner lining seems to have separated from fuel line

I had similar problem on my boat years ago. The fuel vent for the onboard tank at the gunnel was pushed in and blocked. Pulled out and ran fine. Also DO NOT USE 93 octane in 2 stroke motors it will cause excess carbon build up.

I had similar problem on my boat years ago. The fuel vent for the onboard tank at the gunnel was pushed in and blocked. Pulled out and ran fine. Also DO NOT USE 93 octane in 2 stroke motors it will cause excess carbon build up.

Very good point leadhead.. I missed that! 93 Octane burns slower than standard Octane. Similar to cars - if your engine isn't tuned for the burning properties of high octane it is not only a waste of $ but can actually result in poorer performance. I don't think that is his problem though based on what he posted. He has a fuel restriction somewhere based on the collapsed fuel bulb.

Pulled the section of fuel hose between filter and priming bulb the lining totally collapsed it looked like someone stuffed it with Saran Wrap changed that line still was crappy than did primary filter on motor ( less than 2 hours on it and took apart vst ( again only two hours ) poured all fuel into water bolted so I could see. Sediment ect. Secondary filter loaded with a white waxey type debris when I drained vst tank saw some of same and changed primary it was caked on pleats I did use Yamaha ring free so not sure if it reacted to fuel but in any case changed fuel line vac gushed showing no rectification. Ran it out on bay last night so far so good thanks for all suggestions I found it very helpful it was definetly a fuel restriction!!

saran wrap looking stuff is what is left of the inner liner of your fuel line. did u change all lines on motor too, they only last 8-10 yrs. Waxey debris is what is left of the adhesive that bonds the inner and outer line together after the ethanol gets done eating it. you did not say how old fuel tank is. 2000 and newer should be good. crud from the tank should be picked up by water separator filter between tank and motor. Hope this helps.

Back