Logo
Click forPleasurecraft Marine parts and manuals!

Thread: no spark

Default no spark

i'm in need of help i'm an owner of a 1975 ski supreme with a ford 351 (pleasure craft) the previous owner changed it over to electric ignition and this is my 2nd year owning . while on the lake last weekend running about 1/3 throttle the boat died and would not restart . while investigating i found out i have no spark i have replaced the cap , rotor, coil, and ignition module and still have no spark but i do have power to coil

Default Re: no spark

Start checking all electronic connections,grounds,positives. Check coil with a dvm.

I'd suggest figuring out who's electronic conversion kit was used and getting their troubleshooting guide/call ther tech support dept....

"ignition module" is somewhat ambiguous.....it may or may not include the trigger mechanism....

You probably want to make sure the rotor is spinning when the engine is cranking; a broken chain is possible, especially if its original...

Quote Originally Posted by makomark View Post
    I'd suggest figuring out who's electronic conversion kit was used and getting their troubleshooting guide/call ther tech support dept....

"ignition module" is somewhat ambiguous.....it may or may not include the trigger mechanism....

You probably want to make sure the rotor is spinning when the engine is cranking; a broken chain is possible, especially if its original...
    I'm with Mark. Good suggestions.
    Also agree with John...... check all Positive and Negative connections.

If by change this is a Pertronix kit , I would toss it and go with a REAL electronic ignition system. Perhaps a VR (variable reluctor) system.

Keep in mind that the Ford 5.8L ignition distributor is not the same as the 5.0L ignition distributor.

NOTE:
    Not only look closely at your BASE/Initial advance, but also pay close attention to the Progressive advance and the TA (total advance), and at what RPM it is Full-In!
    See your OEM ignition advance curve data!

Rick ... aka Ricardo..... AQ series Volvo Penta repair
    Portland, Oregon
    28' SDN F/B w/ twin Volvo Penta 5.7L DP's

Please... no PMs! Post your questions on the forum.