Logo

hello I am a new owner of a 2004 Johnson 175HP

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
hello I am a new owner of a 2004 Johnson 175HP hopefully a proud owner.

I am getting close to completeing my project 1977 22' StarCraft Cheiftain

here' images of the Johnson

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 185
  • TILTLOCKP.jpg
    TILTLOCKP.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I disagree as there is more force applied to transom when boat is running and trimming than bouncing on tilt lock. That's what factory put it there for.

I thought it was supposed to reduce pressure on tilt & trim hydraulic pistons after raising motor,setting tilt lock, then lowering engine a bit to relieve stress on that system!

That is only when you are working on the tilt/ trim to service or remove/replace the unit. Never use that for a transom saver when travailing. When my engine is tilted in the water I use it just to help with the pressure on the tilt piston but only if I am not going to use it for a few weeks.

It does...it is a 2004.
Another way to tell is to look at the port temp sensor. Two wires....QS is present. One wire is tan, the other white/black.

It does...it is a 2004.
Another way to tell is to look at the port temp sensor. Two wires....QS is present. One wire is tan, the other white/black.
excellent I'l be on the lookout fo the QS

Nice, great engines, good luck with your project, btw, I think you mean "manual" Manuel is a person's name
my project is almost done the major stuff is done just lacking controlbox w/ cables and steering tubes.

I have the new binacal mounted new cables attached to it.

I'm having a hard time removing the side cover's front inside bolt anyone know the size wrenh to use? this side cover must be removd to install new cables correct?

also my lable fell off my old cable which one Is the fuel top or bottom?

thanks

Last edited:
yeh I was thinking a universal could be handie I was using a 9MM socket.

I want to install the contoll cables today and finish the steering sys, tubes and bleed sys.

couple images of new binacal.

anyone know which cable is the throttle?

edit can this engine be started w/a cord wrapped around the flyheel?
Thanks

Attachments

• BINACALMOUNTED.jpg
    BINACALMOUNTED.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 94
9mm woobler sockect worked was still a PITA

Im glad my assistant showed up he helped feed hydrolic steering tubes then held the hydrolic IV fuild, I was able to bleed the sys. sucsessfully when the sys was unpreserized w/ fuild I could the egine by hand now t's soild and stays in place.

I also got the throttle cable in I found it to be the lower cable hope this is correct owners maneul didn't mention the cabls.

How do you guys remove the rear piece where the garden hose is connected for flushing.
Thnks

my bad I do not have a SM yet.

the two control inside the engie the lower is the gear shift correct?

How do you guys remove the rear piece where the garden hose is connected for flushing.
Thnks

Last edited:
No he wants to know how to remove the flush port where the exhaust reliefs and telltale is.

On a 200-225, simply use a 13/16 box end wrench to get on the plastic nut. Not sure if it is the same on your 175.

Looks like it is the same. Part ref #59 on his parts pages, Cylinder & Crankcase section.

Back