Logo

BF50 stalls at idle

2007 50 hp. stalls at idle . Has been running flawless till yesterday. idle down to aprox.800rpm.Once it is warmed up and returned to idle , engine has begun to stall out. This engine is on a 20' pontoon .It in the water and ideally there is an adjustment that can be done in place . Water depth at my dock is only 3 feet so I can get to it easily. WOT is 5800 with a full load and starts well . Hoping to get a good troubleshooting plan .

Comments please

Tim

If it is only an idle adjustment (which I do not think it is), you can adjust the idle speed by the idle stop screw on the bottom carburetor. It is a phillips head screw. Do not adjust the screws on any of the other carburetors. They are for carburetor balance.

The idle in neutral for that motor should be 950 plus/minus 50 rpms.

Most likely, you are only running on two cylinders and have a spark or carburetor issue.

I generally recommend to run the engine and remove the spark plug wires from the spark plugs (one at a time) and see if there is a drop in motor rpm. You see what happens with each spark plug wire. If you remove one and there is no change, that is the cylinder that has a problem....could be spark or could be fuel (carburetor issue).

You should use an insulated pair of pliers to pull the wires off of the spark plugs. However......standing in 3ft of water and pulling the spark plugs might be a little "jolting"...if you know what I mean.

So maybe find someone with a dingy or back the boat into a slip, so you can do the test from the dock.

Mike

If your going to stand in the water to do this,make sure you have rubber soles!! LOL, could not resist,good luck with repair.

Back