Logo

Contaminated Gas

scottandee

Just purchased Sea Ox 23cc with 200 hp Johnson ETec. 129 hrs...boat has 100 gal tank with 2 year old gas that was stabilized each year. Engine performance suggest water in gas, old gas. Mechanic changed all filters, siphoned off 1 1/2 gal of water out of tank. Are there additives that will restore this fuel to a more stabil state and increase obtain etc. Startron recommended that I treat tank with Startron. If mechanic already did that will I wind up over treating the fuel? Should I add dry gas as well ? Suggestions please. Hard to dispose of 100 gal

a lot of factors in play here...is the gas ethanol?..are you positive it was treated?..do you have a water filter installed?..was the 100 gal tank full of old gas or did it have a partial tank?...

100 gallons is a lot of gas I admit but it needs to go...and then make sure you have a water filter with spare filters...I was in a similar situation about 6 years ago and finally made a deal with a professional yard man to use the gas free...there are pumps available or you can siphon...use a clear hose on whatever you use so you can see whats in the gas as you pump it or siphon it out...

I have read where there are marina's that cycle gas through a machine and clean it up...those are hard to find...

a lot of factors in play here...is the gas ethanol?..are you positive it was treated?..do you have a water filter installed?..was the 100 gal tank full of old gas or did it have a partial tank?...

100 gallons is a lot of gas I admit but it needs to go...and then make sure you have a water filter with spare filters...I was in a similar situation about 6 years ago and finally made a deal with a professional yard man to use the gas free...there are pumps available or you can siphon...use a clear hose on whatever you use so you can see whats in the gas as you pump it or siphon it out...

I have read where there are marina's that cycle gas through a machine and clean it up...those are hard to find...

There is 100 gals, it was treated with stabil both years before storage. Yes to Ethanol and water separator with filter changed as well as gas filter. I wrote to Startron and they recommended 2, 8oz containers be added and to wait 24 hrs for it to blend. Don't know if I believe them or not.....if you put chocolate in sour milk....ya still got sour milk....many have told me to burn it in my car and run down the tank. I am getting no where finding some one to pump it out. Won't store 100 gals in my garage. Tick tick tick.

Scott, you mention you have an E-Tec, does engines are great but the injector are very sensitive to water and contaminants, I recommend you dump the gas (use it in you lawnmower) clean the tank put fresh gas put some sta-bil and put DX-100 synthetic oil at a rate of 200-1 that will lubricate the fuel pump and the injectors and prevent rust from the dirty fuel you ran

I hooked up an external tank, engine performed very well. Unable to clean tank, 115 gal in board tank, oil has a reservoir that auto mixes at correct feed rate. Would use Startron. Just need to find a place to take 100 gals of old fuel....can't won't store that bomb in my garage........

Two gallons of water is not going to effect octane rating very much on a 100 gallon tank. Throw a can of octane boost in there and keep a couple fuel filters handy. The main issue is you got water in the injector system, keep an eye on the plugs and run some injector cleaner in the portable tank and monitor the color of the plugs.

A gallon of water will ruin 100 gallons of gas. You can add all the chemicals you want to it and it is still BAD.

Is that power head worth $300.00 in gas, or $450.00 for a waste oil company to come and take it away.

Quote [" oil has a reservoir that auto mixes at correct feed rate"] I know I own an E-Tec, this just and extra mixture in the tank to lubricate the fuel pump and injectors because you have run contaminated fuel through it, it could save you some $$$ each injector is over $300 and they don't like water, to me it is not worth it to use that gas in that engine, older engines are a lot more tolerant to that kind of stuff use it in your car.

That's going to be a lot of mowed lawns,thread #6 btw ethanol is not recommended for small engines,lawnmowers,snowblowers,ETC

The results are ...pumped out all the old gas, gave to friends to burn in their trucks. Clean harbor wanted 700. Put in 16 ounces of Startron, and then 50 gals of premium.... Runs nice and smooth. There was never any water in gas....just old and stale...

This is my first...BIG WATER engine....200 hp high output ETec. While I was investigating starting and idling issues, I removed the plastic cover ( air baffle, filter ?? ) from the air intakes. There are 3 air intakes. There was a light coating of oil all over the intakes and inside cover there was oil puddling in the crevices.....I would of thought that a foam filter soaked in oil to capture contaminates would have been there but it was just the cover with some oil in it. Is this where the oil is injected into the engine? Is this condition normal?

Back