Logo

How to choose throttle controls for 1997 mariner 15hp

coalmine_canary

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for guidance in determining which controls will work for my 1997 mariner 15hp? It is currently tiller control but the shifting is built into the tiller throttle, so it seems like it would be a reasonably easy switch to remote controls. I'd like to pick up something used that would work but not sure where to begin in understanding what I should look for. FOr steering I was going to use a cable system since the 14' aluminum already has a lot of those parts still in it

Also, if anyone can point me to online versions of service manuals, I would appreciate it - It's always nice to have that on hand just in case.

Thanks so much!

It's a little more involved then it might seem at first.

Merc used to have a conversion kit with all the bits/pieces you need. You can leave the tiller handle attached but the cables for throttle/shift running from the rear of the handle have to go.

Then all the "stuff" they currently hook up to has to come out and be replaced with the "stuff" that will allow for the remote connections.

As long as you go with cable steering you will be ok - if you want to go with a modern set-up you will also have to replace the tilt tube on the bracket - that can be a booger if it's seized in. There is also a kit for that with the tilt tube, the connecting arm and a few other bits/pieces.

A quick check shows that the attachment kit (with detailed instructions) is still available from Merc - it's their part number 42805A6 and sells right around the 200 buck mark.

Here's what is in it (give you an idea of what has to be changed)...

Attachments

• attaching kit.jpg
    attaching kit.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 176
This is fantastic information, thank you very much - even finding the appropriate part number was challenging. Now at least I know where to start!

Thanks a ton :)

I have put this (kit) on a few of 15 horse and under outboards over the years including my own 15 horse (1991 Merc/Mariner).

The instructions in the kit really walk you through it. Some of it is tedious (tight space, other things in the way), but it's not "difficult" if you go step by step. If you go with the kit plan on a solid afternoon and take your time. The bottom cowl gets in the way when you are swapping all the linkages (again, tight in there) but goes smooth if you take your time.

Back