Logo

Rust reversal on old metal tanks

bspeth

Regular Contributor
Got a 6 gallon tank with dual line fitting as well as single line fitting and thought it would be a cool set up for a classic kicker and a single tank only. Rust blossoms on the bottom and the sides,but not very coarse at all,you can still feel a little oil almost.How do you guys bring em back? Sand blasting?Thanks-B

I've used Muriatic Acid on small tanks with good results. Very caustic stuff, Read directions carefully,leaving solution in too long will result in burn through!! Creates a lot of heat. rinse thoroughly with water as soon as you dump contents. Might take several applications.After last rinse with water i used alcohol to suck up water and blew dry with compressed air.Remove all non metal items from tank first. There is a solution that is used on custom made motorcycle fuel tanks that is used to seal imperfect welds NOt sure what its called.Some kind of epoxy,that is poured in and sloshed around to coat inside.

Last edited:
For smaller tanks I use metal BBs and slosh it around real good not sure how well it will work with a 6gal tho it would take alot of BBs. Then you just pick them out with a extending magnet. How big of kicker are you planning on running?

Last edited:
I was thinking a 7.5 possibly a 5.5 ,couple ways I can go. If I use my 15 as my main I would go with my 6.If I use my 18 main I would go with my 7.5.Theoretically at this point I have some work ahead.

Back