Logo

AQ120B broken circ pump. HELP

George McGlynn

hi, new to this so let me say thx in advance for any help.
i have a 79 galxy with a AQ120B 4cycl.wth closed coolant system. the circ pump died and dealers say replacement no longer available. is there an automotive alternative I can use? or any suggestions? HELP PLEASE! PART # REF 828023 or 3587508

Rebuilding circulator pumps beyond the means of most DIY folks... furthermore, bearing failure ( most common thing) leads to impeller wobble, which often leads to housing damage.

I use Checker Marine in LaSalle, Michigan for used boat parts. They are a recycler of all kinds of marine engines. They have what you need and they know what they are talking about.

part number 3587508 is the kit includes pump and water hose for bulletin 41-13 EN. . I would definately want to see a pic before spending that kind of money. Not real hot on buying a used circ pump rebuilt maybe?

part number 3587508 is the kit includes pump and water hose for bulletin 41-13 EN. . I would definately want to see a pic before spending that kind of money. Not real hot on buying a used circ pump rebuilt maybe?

Yeh, the guy got back to me, it is not the circ. pump. Its the Sea water repair kit

I would take your old water pump to an auto parts store and match it up. I thought this engine is just a marinized Volvo engine. B21 engine block.

edit: don't listen to me. The consensus is not to use auto parts for marine applications.

Last edited:
I would take your old water pump to an auto parts store and match it up. I thought this engine is just a marinized Volvo engine. B21 engine block.

edit: don't listen to me. The consensus is not to use auto parts for marine applications.

the aq120 pump is marine only, not similar to the automobile version
(the AQ125 is a different animal and an auto pump works)
Still, most anything can be repaired if you find a good machineist.

I did not see any similar pumps on ebay, water pumps shaft/bearing is replaceable if it has standard dimensions.
google
Water pump bearings
Integral shaft bearings

I have a 79 Glasply with an AQ120B /270 outdrive. My circulation water pump is leaking and I have also been unable to find a new replacement. Let me know what solution you come up with!

Thanks for the info! I bought a used pump and will try that out. I may just send my old pump to get rebuild so if I ever need another one I'll have a backup :cool:

SteveMoss......... this thread was started back in August of 2016. I suspect that George has resolved his issue by now.

It is always best to start a new thread for your specific question(s)!

But..... since we're here............ our member Eduardo (El Pescador) copied me on this info years ago.

Rick, regarding your question about the Volvo OHC 4 bangers, I have attached a spreadsheet that I have compiled over the years and to the
best of my knowledge, the information is accurate (but I cannot guarantee it 100%). I hope this is what you were looking for.

Something I have not included in the chart is that, to the best of my knowledge, all heat exchangers (packaged with their expansion tank) are interchangeable, but only the ones for the AQ 131 and AQ151 acept an automotive coolant circulating pump.
This means that, theoretically, an automotive circ pump will fit any engine model if it has an installed a heat exchanger/expansion tank designed for the
AQ131/AQ151.

Take care,
Eduardo (El Pescador)

Copy and paste this URL into your browser

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/attachments/vb/502522=12708-image003.jpg

I have also found that MarinePartsEurope.com is very helpful.

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

Since the AQ120B Circ Pump and Heat Exchanger are proprietary and must be used together...... another option would be to change out both the Coolant Circulating Pump and the Heat Exchanger to more readily available units.

Last edited:
Back