Logo

Lost a thrust washer out of my engine can't find it in the parts diagram help!

Fergdog

OKi'm changing the top seal in my 1963 Evinrude sportwin 10302e. I took out a thrust washer that sat right on top of the bearing below the seal and O-ring . I go to put the thing back together and this washer has vanished . No big deal right well it does not appear in the parts diagram for my engine or the engine diagrams for the year before and after 63 so I can't just order a new one .The washer is thin made of brass and fits around the crankshaft and housing perfectly . I'm calling it a thrust washer . It's job is probably to protect the seal from the spinning bearing below it that's my guess . I know it came out of there because I had to roll up a piece of duct tape to stick to it to get it out . Yet it's nowhere to be found in the parts diagram . If someone knows where I can get this washer or a part number or if it's OK to put the thing back together without it like it shows in the diagram your help would be greatly appreciated .

What exists under the ignition cam of that engine is:... a Small retaining washer (with a lip) for the top of the tension spring... the tension spring... a larger retaining washer (with a lip) for the bottom of the tension washer.... then the carbon seal assembly............ nothing more.

If there was indeed a brass washer there (Not doubting your findings), someone put it there for some unknown reason.

What exists under the ignition cam of that engine is:... a Small retaining washer (with a lip) for the top of the tension spring... the tension spring... a larger retaining washer (with a lip) for the bottom of the tension washer.... then the carbon seal assembly............ nothing more.

If there was indeed a brass washer there (Not doubting your findings), someone put it there for some unknown reason

OK thanks for your help and quick response I'm just going to go with it . I thought that may be a reason for someone putting that washer there was to raise the seal away from a possible groove The shaft from the old seal and old age kind of like you do on a rear axle seal on a car . But there is no growth and this washer was no random washer there's no way you could've found a washer that would fit just perfect around the housing and around the crankshaft it sure looked like it was meant to be there . Thanks again for your help I'll try to login let everyone know how it turned out if I ever get this boat project finished

If it's going to give you peace of mind, that brass washer couldn't have gone very far unless it stood on edge and rolled down a incline. If it was me, I'd try to think logically as to where it might have gone.

I worked in a place one time that had steel benches attached to a wall, however in the center of that workspace there would be a opening about 2' wide. The rear steel wall of the workbench stood about 1/4" away from the wall.

I could be 20' away from that bench and drop a small screw, a ball bearing, whatever..... that thing would speed away, vanish, at about a zillion miles a hour... just disappear.... into that 2' opening, and lurk as long as possible in that 1/4" of space, never seemed to fail!

Last edited:
Back