Logo

Help with mercontrol

landover50

Hey all,
I'm in need of some help with my Mercontrol unit. I have searched high and low for information on what I have but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot. I can find a lot of information, videos, assembly diagrams etc for the older Mercontrol (those that are black and blue, bigger unit) but not much on mine. The link below is to another forum post. It is not my unit, but mine looks just like it.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...9242-positioning-and-function-of-a-mercontrol

I'm having a couple of issues. First, there is a lot of free play in the control arm; it amount to about an inch of free play at the end of the control arm. It seems that the teeth that attach the control arm to the shaft may be worn out, but not sure. I'm hoping there is a way to tighten it up.

The other issue is that the throttle won't hold. The throttle backs off unless I hold it with my hand. Is there any way to tighten it up so it will hold?
I've been looking for a replacement control unit that will work with the existing cables. Is there one? If not, what is a good replacement unit for the one I've got?

I want to pull it apart and see if it needs a cleaning or greasing. Does anyone have an assembly diagram? I cannot find one for the life of me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Back