Logo

'07 200 EFI trim and tilt (suspect electrical issue)

Martinrsa

Hi all

Hope someone can point me in the correct direction?

We have a 2007 200 EFI that has a runaway trim every now and then. Its an intermittent problem where trimming up is no issue, but sometimes when the motor is running (either in idle, any rpm or WOT) the trim runs away and trims the motor to full down position. The only way we can stop the run away is by holding the trim switch on the gear selector in the up position or killing the motor (not always good at WOT)
We then pull the throttle back to idle and shut down the motor

We do not have any trim levers on the steering column, only on the trottle/gear selector.

When the motor is full down after the runaway trim, motor not running but ignition on, I can hear the relays trying to kick in but I suspect it doesnt make contact.

Could it be a simple replace the relays option, or would it be suitable to open the relays and give the contactors a light sanding with fine grit sand paper?

Any other pointers I should look at? There are no leaks in the hydraulics so I doubt whether it is oil as when it does work it functions 100% and with a good speed to raise and lower the motor.

Any tips/tricks?

Many thanks,

Martin
RSA

Its possible you have a weak down relay that activates under vibration but I suspect it more a switch problem.

Hi Faztbullet

Thanks for the reply.

I think you maybe right in both cases as we also suspect the trim switch on the cowling to faulty. Is there an easy way to check the switch with a voltmeter (before taking it into the service agents?)

Sorry guys, forgot to give an update on the issue.

We replaced both relays for trim up and trim down, problem is now solved.

Now we have a gearbox to replace... Sigh :(

Back