Logo

Johnson 225 Fuel Leak from (see photo's), please.

jonny62

Model #J225TXCCE
Ser. # G 7745885

Is this a 1985 motor?
Paid $2500 for this motor in 2008... low hours. Ran it for 1 hour on the river, RAN GREAT, then winterized it.
2008 RECESSION. Boat has been covered since 2008.
I got the motor running today after 8 years! Runs great still, except... dribbling fuel from bottom of carbs from a part with a schreader valve & RED LEVER on it?
When I squeezed the primer ball, fuel squirted/dribbled from this part... somewhere?
When engine was running... fuel dribbling from this part into engine housing/cowling.
The red lever was FACING towards motor. I moved it facing away from motor for photo.
What is this part? Is it a winterization port? What is the RED LEVER for?
It's been 8 years & my memory is failing, but I need to stop this fuel LEAK!
Thanks in advance,
jon

fuel leak2 july 16.jpg

I know this is the "IDing Model/year/HP" section, but I didn't want to post twice.
I'm wondering the year AND the fuel source leak?

Last edited:
Your motor is a 1988. That part with the red handle and Schrader valve is the primer solenoid. The red valve should be pointed straight down in that pic for normal running.

Thank you so much.
I will point it straight down.
But, will that stop the leak?
It's hard to tell exactly where fuel is coming from? But it is somewhere... from that.
Thanks in advance.
j.

Possible o-ring replacement will fix that issue inside of solenoid. The schrader valve is used for fogging. The solenoid is activated by pressing in key,it squirts fuel into intake manifold for cold starts.

Possible o-ring replacement will fix that issue inside of solenoid. The schrader valve is used for fogging. The solenoid is activated by pressing in key,it squirts fuel into intake manifold for cold starts.

I searched archives & found SOME fuel related components may swell up after a week. This did.

I haven't run this motor in 8 years, and when I did last time (2008), it was only for an hour. I had JUST purchased the motor USED from a Dealer, to replace my old worn out Johnson 175 VRO!
This "new" motor says "VRO" on cover, however all the VRO has been removed. I mix 50:1 when filling the fuel tank.
I removed all the water cooling lines to be sure they were all clear of mud, bugs, etc..

I have 2 questions:

1) What is this check valve for? I wasn't getting any water from this line, so I sucked on it (engine off) and a BUG landed in my mouth.... then I heard water draining from inside the engine.

johnson 225 summer 2016 check valve.jpg

2) I'll replace this cap? Starboard aft lowest side of engine has a brass T with what looks like a FAILED Zip-tied CAP? It starts SPRAYING water at the exact time the "pisser tube" does. Except.... it's filling up the engine cowling well!! Why is there a cap on it? Is this because the VRO was removed?

johnson 225 summer 2016 spray RUNNING1.jpg

Thank you for your help!
:cool:

Last edited:
Back