Logo

Accelerator Pump Rod Removal

RogerEC

Hello all. I have a 2003 Nissan NSF30 A that I need to replace the accelerator pump rod boots on, my question is do the rods simply pull out of the rocker arm seat or is there something else holding them ?

Thank you

RogerEC

Paul thanks for the reply. I have that diagram and the service manual but neither are clear on whether or not the plunger can simply be pulled out of the seat. The plunger has a ball head and can be seen better in the 2003 Mercury parts list but I'm still not sure.

Thanks again

Paul thanks for the reply. I have that diagram and the service manual but neither are clear on whether or not the plunger can simply be pulled out of the seat. The plunger has a ball head and can be seen better in the 2003 Mercury parts list but I'm still not sure.

Thanks again

Yea... It's a PITA. I did mine a few months ago on 2 of them. Diagrams help with how to put things back together in case you screw something up. But, that's about it. I don't have the carbs in front of me, but you need to pull the butterfly valve and slide that rod out to a certain point. There is also 2 springs you have to deal with. It may seem like the "angle" will never be right to get the plunger out. But, keep screwing around with it and it will eventually come out! Don't force anything. If you're having to use force, your missing something. Pay close attention to where the springs were grabbing and be sure that you do not tighten the butterfly valve down until you got it exactly where you want it. Otherwise you will never be able to do a "link and sync" with gauges. Leave the valve loose until everything is back together and be sure the valve is completely closed in the bore. Once you're sure the valve is closed and touching all the way around... Then you tighten the screws for the butterfly valve! Trust me on this! You will never get them to sync right if this valve is not perfectly centered.

Back