Logo

Mercury 115 EFI -02 Beeping

Mufflon

Hello

Im having some problems with my Mercury 115 EFI 2002 fourstroke engine (350-400 hours)

Im getting a constant beeping when driving on higher rpm. Beeping starts after 20-40 seconds (+3500rpm) and keeps on beeping until i restart the engine or wait around 15-20 seconds.

I've changed the thermostat and the impeller but that didn't help.

Any suggestions what to do next?

Is it a series of beeps (beep beep beep beep etc) or a "constant" beep (Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep).

If it's individual beeps or intermittent beeps that is something different than a steady beep, and the number of beeps, spacing between them etc all mean something different.

Likewise, if your engine power "automatically" reduces when you get the beep that means something different than if you simply get a beep but the engine continues to function normally.

So a little more specifics are required here..

PS - if it's an overheat alarm that you are getting you should have serviced the poppit valve as well. In the 3500 and above rpms, it's the poppit that controls the flow of cooling water through the head, not the thermostat (it does it's job at lower rpms).

Last edited:
Hi Galamb! Thanks for you reply

The beeping is contant, "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep", the engine dosn't go into some kind of safemode, it just keeps on running until i power it down myself.

I can also add that i've plugged it into this computer thing and checked if there was any fault reports but there wasn't any, I also had it plugged in while driving and it didn't report anything when the beeping started. I think the beeping started when the temperature got over 90 degrees Celcius/194 Fahrenheit (not 100% about this)

Im gonna try to find this poppit valve your talking about, never heard of that before so maybe thats the next step, can you just clean this somehow or you need to replace it?

On your model looks like Merc calls it a "pressure control valve".

It's on the right side of the block (from the perspective of looking at the prop), close to the where the head connects, down about the third cylinder (or right between the 3rd/4th).

There is three or so pieces under the cover - it's "kinda" like a thermostat that works on water pressure - so a spring, the valve itselt (kinda disc shaped), a grommet and the cover gasket. Not really much to clean - typically replaced when the thermostat needs replacing or when you get higher rpm overheats.

Just trying to go from memory here, the valve stays closed when the water pressure is below about 4 psi (so idle/just off idle) - at those speeds the thermostat totally controls the cooling water through the power head. Between 4-9 psi the valve/spring starts to open and gradually lets more and more water through (as your rpms increase). When you are up above 4500/5000'ish, the valve is "wide open" letting as much water through as possible.

So when there is a problem with the spring or the valve, such that it doesn't open fully/properly, you just won't get enough water going through to properly cool the powerhead and Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

Hello
Thanks for your reply galamb! Sorry for late reply

I've changed the valve and still getting the same problem. Any other ideas?

Is it possible that something got stuck somewhere in the system? - this might be the reason i dont get the correct waterpressure in the system so the poppet valve dont open as it should.. Can i somehow flush it the "backway"? or use some kind of miracle fluid?

Last edited:
Hello again!

Im still having problems with my engine.. Before i took it out of the water for the winter i did some testing:
I tried running the engine without a thermostate - didnt help
I measured the temperature with an extern thermometer and it went up to 70-80 degrees C with just 2000-3000rpm. ( I did this just to make sure it wasnt any problems with the sensor)

I also talked to a mercury workshop and they said something about and "adapter plate" that is between the engine and the driveshaft, they used this adapter because the engine is actually an yamaha engine and the lower parts is from mercury. There is a gasket somewhere here that sometimes causes this kind of problem - anyone heard of this?

Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Back