Logo

Mercury Cruiser 4.3 shuts down and won't re-start after tubing

New to boating

My new Mercury Cruiser 4.3 runs well except after pulling grandkids on tube, after which, I cannot re-start the engine for several hours. I tried leaving the blower fan on, opening the engine compartment, insulating the fuel line and letting the engine idle after heavy use. The mechanic says he cannot replicate the problem after running the engine hard. The problem seems to occur only after tubing. Any advice about possible directions to take with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for responding. RPMs when tubing seem relatively low - about 2500. The first run goes fine but when re-accelerating after stopping to pull the next child on the tube, the engine wants to stall and eventually shuts off.

Thanks for responding. RPMs when tubing seem relatively low - about 2500. The first run goes fine but when re-accelerating after stopping to pull the next child on the tube, the engine wants to stall and eventually shuts off.

Is water getting into engine compartment when you stop quickly and dripping on the ignition/ distibutor????
Seen many boats with vents at very back of boat and they allow water to rush in when stopping quickly...

Back