Logo

77 Evenrude dies out after 5 minutes running

P

Pat Huebsch

Never had outboard before. I

Never had outboard before. I need help determining what to do about my Evenrude that dies after five minutes running good. It appears to just run out of gas. I have to choke it to get it running again and will run for about 45 seconds and die out again. I have changed the o rings in the gas/air hose connections so there is not any air or gas leak there. I have replace the packing rings in the high and slow speed valves. I have cleaned the gas filter and the plugs have been changed. What do I do now????
Thanks

"Pat.... What is the "Mode

"Pat.... What is the "Model" number of that engine?

Joe
"

Hi Pat; Did you open the gas

Hi Pat; Did you open the gas tank valve? Let us know

" Joe The Model # is 7522-1798

" Joe The Model # is 7522-17989.

I did not open the gas tank valve, I didn't know there was one on this tank. Actually I thought this was a closed system dual hoses with air and gas both going to the tank. "

"Pat.... Your engine is a 1957

"Pat.... Your engine is a 1957 7-1/2hp Evinrude, not a 7.7hp.

If that engine has one single fuel line from the tank to the engine, the engine has a fuel pump and the tank may or may not have a adjustable air vent.

If it has a dual line hose from the tank to the engine, it would incorporate a pressurized fuel system, and if so, there must be no air passageways (leaks or vents) in the fuel tank. With this type tank, it takes awhile for the pressure to build up, so you might have to pump (prime) the tank up a few times.

Which type do you have?

Joe
"

My 7.7 was a misprint.
I th

My 7.7 was a misprint.
I thought the unit was about a 1958 model.

I have a dual tube system. It has a air and gas line. I pump it up to start and it runs good for about five minutes. It intialy had a air and gas leak at the connetion to the motor. I have since change the o rings and it doesn't leak there. I do not precieve any air or gas leaks. I have tried pumping it up when it starts to die but the pressure is already up and I cannot pump it up any more. I don't want to force it.

Thanks Joe for considering this problem.

"Pat.... When the engine dies

"Pat.... When the engine dies out, check to see if there's pressure in the tank by unscrewing the cap. If there's no pressure, air is not being pumped from the engine to the tank (you do have the cap screwed on tight?).

Also, be sure that you have the fuel connector properly connected so that fuel coming from the tank goes to the carburetor. Momentarily, using some smooth object, push in the fuel plunger at the fuel/air connector, then (if no pressure is in the tank) pump the primer button... fuel should shoot out that connector. If pressure is in the tank, fuel should shoot out immediately.

If you have a small air compressor (or even a large one), and the tank isn't holding pressure at all, you force pressurized air from the compressor into the tank via the air plunger at the fuel/air connector to check for leaks. If you do this, use just a small amount of pressure!

Joe
"

" Joe,

Pressure does build

" Joe,

Pressure does build up in the hose and will shoot our gas if the fuel plunger is pushed in. There is pressure that builds up in the tank also. when I unscrew the gas cap there is a big release of air pressure. "

"Pat.... Okay, so far, so good

"Pat.... Okay, so far, so good. Remove the fuel hose at the carburetor. If fuel will flow out of that hose when you pump the primer button (or if tank pressure forces it out of there), the problem would need to be within the carburetor. Remove and clean it.

Joe
"

" Joe,
There is fuel to the c

" Joe,
There is fuel to the carburetor. So the next thing is to clean the carburetor? Any special tips or watch outs on that?

Thanks "

Back