Logo

Torque Specs on 28SPL

Schell187

I have a 1988 J28ESLCCR 28HP motor. I'm replacing the head gasket and water gasket and need to know torque specs. I did read in one thread most people just tighten the water jacket bolts but really need to know the head bolt torque specs. Also if anyone would know the correct spark plug gap.
Thanks in advance.
Josh

Head bolts = 18 to 20 foot pounds.

Water jacket = Yes, just tighten them.

S/plug and gap = Champion QL77JC4 - .030 (long life) or .040 (stronger spark).

Originally the OMC recommended plug gap was .040 but that resulted in a rather short life for the plug as the electrode burnt off at an angle in time. At some point in the 1990's they changed the recommendation to .030 so it's your choice.

Thanks for the info. Surprising with the motor being a 1988 it never has been touched. Factory spark plugs, gear oil, water pump and all. My thermostat failed finally and when I went to remove the plate I snapped 2 bolts leading me to remove the head to fix.

Thanks for the info. Surprising with the motor being a 1988 it never has been touched. Factory spark plugs, gear oil, water pump and all. My thermostat failed finally and when I went to remove the plate I snapped 2 bolts leading me to remove the head to fix.

Always have a hand held propane torch on hand to heat the aluminum surrounding those tight bolts/screws. That works wonders and save a person a lot of unnecessary work. Have two tips.. blow torch type tip and a pencil tip.

And of course, have a fire extinguisher right handy... a garden hose at a minimum!

Back