Logo

optimax problems

redvictor 57

Hello every body just wonder if any body has the problem of a cold running 2004 90hp optimax
motor alarm keeps going of due to motor not warm enough had a mercury mechanic look at it had it for 4 weeks
still not warming up rebuilt motor 8 months ago only started with this problem 2 months ago still no better
just about to blow it up any help would be appreciated victor

What is the pattern of the warning horn? When does it sound? Do you have a smart craft gauge and is it telling you the engine is cold?

Last edited:
sorry to reply so late warning horn prior to installing new water pump and popit valve
it was a constant beep over 3500 rpm now that I ve installed the above item cannot get temp in the
motor to open thermostat idles rough changed 2 thermos and popits to be sure all installed by mercury
mechanic at shop he is baffled. no smart craft gauges

Last edited:
Is the Mechanic installing the popit correctly? Maybe you should take the popit apart and take pictures of the assembly so we can see it.

Your issue sounds like a popit problem.

it takes about 15 minutes to warm to any temp not even close to thermostat temp
thanks for the picture but I have a service and repair manual for that model, have surfed the net for pictures
I shall try again and put back the popit valve/thermostat and try to run it again
thanks victor

Back