Logo

1974 OMC Stringer 400 tilt up works good, tilt down drops outdrive to full down, no stops

bresecker

Tilt up works great. Can toggle switch to lift and it will come up in increments with short tick of toggle switch or all the way up if toggle is held. Lowering outdrive is where the problem comes in. In the up position, one small tick of the toggle switch to down position and the outdrive will fall quickly to the full down position with a heavy thud. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this.

No answers eh? I've got the same though reverse problem, mine goes down but not up!

Ive been told the most common cause is the wiring inside the throttle where the tilt button has the UP/DOWN wires so if one is corroded or broken you lose that function.

I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow. To get the throttle off there is a tiny grub screw directly under the lowest part of the throttle itself, you need an Allen Key to get it out and then the throttle and wiring is visible!

Hope that hat is it as cissy a fortune for a new quadrant, if you can even find one!

Good luck!

Is the "down" solenoid sticking? There are 2 solenoids near the back of the motor, one for up and one for down. Swap them and see if the problem moves to the "UP" side.

Thanks for the reply!

Really hard to get at the main control unit but I can see two round looking things sticking up with a wire to each one. When I loosen one, the oil pours out everywhere so I guess they're not the ones?

I need extendable eyeballs to see much more but I can't actually spot the ones you say to swap over!

Are they plug in, screw in or such?

I'll get my mirror on a stick and have another go today!

I need a little six inch tall mechanic at times like this!

Cheers

All fixed but thanks for replies all the same!

Once I got that wretched little hex screw out of the base of the throttle lever, the whole thing came off easily and I found that over the years, wear and tear had sheared off the UP wire!

Just a matter of rejoining it and voila, all works again!

Thanks again guys!

Cuttlefish : It's not nice to Hi-Jack a thread. Start your own !! Bresecker: You may have something wrong in the tilt clutch assy .

Last edited:
Get a life Mate! I supplied the original poster with info that may have assisted him in solving his problem! I had the same issue and my trouble shooting fixed it in a matter of ten minutes! It's what's called helping others, give it a go sometime!

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/o...=Intermediate+Housing+Group+80,120,155,210+Hp
From the fully down position press the lift switch and count the seconds it takes to go all the way up. More than 3 1/2 seconds and you need to address the problem. Removed the 1/4 driven gear that lifts the drive and then tie the drive fully up and put something under it so it dont fall when you put your hand up there. Grab the drive gear and see if there is alot of play in the shaft part numbers 56-70. If there is slop on the shaft you need to replace the bushings inside the housing. Whats happening is the worm gear is not fully seated into the driven brass gear inside making the motor labor going up and when you go to lower it it releases all together. disassemble the whole gearbox including the worm shaft from the motor, the motor can be a major pain if in a tight space. The lift is probably the most neglected because most people dont know the gearoil on it needs to be change also. The shaft bushings wear out then water fills the gearbox and it goes down hill from there. Pull it all apart and replace the bad parts and put in new seals. It also has a breakaway clutch inside in case the drive hits something take it apart and make sure the parts are good and it has proper spring pressure. Hopefully you can find any parts it needs new. Getting harder to find and can be spendy.

I always admire a guy who comes out in the open and identifies himself as the resident Forum Idiot! Takes guts I havta say........
You do realize it is not polite to hi jack another persons thread you need to start your own thread. Boobie is an outstanding contributor you have no history show some respect!

Have ordered 2 solenoids. Had always planned to replace those anyway before they gave me problems. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Tilt up works fine, no laboring on the lift. Took apart the clutch housing for look inside. Oil was milky so have ordered a new seal. Everything else looked OK. No shavings or chunks came out! Will use two gaskets as shims on the housing cover plate going back together. Learned that from reading other posts in the forum. Will be replacing both tilt solenoids, something I had been planning to do anyway. Thanks for the advice. If new tilt solenoid doesn't work, I will proceed with your plan of attack.

Back