Logo

Oil consumption after a sump fracture

Acappella

Lehman 120, 7300 hours, using 1+ liter per 2 hrs, starts and runs well, runs to 2450, temp ok (separate story later), moderate blue smoke at start, no smoke under way, oil sheen out exhaust water after a run.

1000 hours ago, sump was penetrated from inside by a broken pressure plate spring not discovered for quite a while. So sump needs replacing. Also thinking that rear seal is shot, possibly related to pp spring trauma. Also suspect the rear breather stack is not working correctly.

single engine in a 40' OA '79.

thanks for any and all advice before I turn this over to professional repair. Fix in boat? Must engine be removed? Else to look for? Not looking to rebuild, just want another few thousand hours without putting oil in the environment.

Hi acappella, from your description it should be rebuilt. You have gotten exceptional service if it has never been rebuilt before this!!

Charlie w.

Hi acappella, from your description it should be rebuilt. You have gotten exceptional service if it has never been rebuilt before this!!

Charlie w.
Thanks, Charlie. I am curious what in particular merits the rebuild as compared with just fixing the obvious, like the sump. Note when the sump comes off a judgement can be made on the seal, but I would say the marginal cost is so low, replace the seal anyway.
acappella

Hi acappella, the crankshaft seal is two piece and can only be changed by removing the rear main bearing and loosening all the remaining main bearing caps. Difficult to do in place. I would have suggested rebuild at 4000/5000 hours. Blue smoke and adding more than normal oil would be a concern. Make sure you only have 12 quarts of oil in the crankcase. (13 with new filter)
charlie w.

Back