Logo

Motor wont run

rob a

I have a 1989 Johnson 90 horse. Last week died just before leaving lake. Changed plugs and started in driveway. It seemed OK. Put in lake today and it would not run unless choke handle was up. Checked the plugs and it looks like only 2 were firing. Would changing the power pack be the way to go?

If choke is needed for engine to run U have a fuel delivery problem. Have carbs been removed,inspected,cleaned thoroughly?? Was fuel tank inspected,cleaned recently? Was fresh fuel used this year? New fuel mixed with old? Troubleshooting before guessing. Compression test,spark test,then diagnosing fuel system!

Put in lake today and it would not run unless choke handle was up??

If you're speaking of a lever one raises to increase the rpms... that's a idle warm up leaver that simply advances the throttle without putting the engine into gear.

The choke or fuel primer solenoid is activated by pushing the key in.

Remove the spark plugs... then.............

(Compression & Spark Test)
(J. Reeves)

1st - Regardless of what problem one might encounter, always start with the basic troubleshooting procedure. Check the compression which should be in the range of 100+ psi (somewhat less on the smaller hp engines) and fairly even on all cylinders.

2nd - With the spark plugs removed, rig up some type of spark tester whereas you can set a gap to be jumped. On the solid state OMC ignition systems from 1973 to the present, set the gap to 7/16". The spark should jump the gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real strong blue snap!

NOTE: Checking the spark via using the spark plugs is a waste of time and proves nothing. The above stated gaps must be used for a proper test.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the help. With your advice and talking with friends I was able to determine I was not getting spark in one if not two plugs. Installed a new power pack. Havent been on the water yet but started well in the driveway. RPMs came up and was able to put the idle warm up lever down. Thanks again.

Back