Logo

Oil level module location

DonBoy

I have a '92 model Mariner 60 hp the oil level switch has been disconnected and I can't find where the oil level module is located. I have a shop manual that shows the engine does have a module, but doesn't show where it's located.

The sensor is located in the bottom of the oil tank (two wires hanging out of the bottom) - it's a simple resistance sensor.

It's paired with a magnetic float inside the oil tank.

When the oil level gets down far enough, the magnet gets close enough to pull itself down and stick to the sensor completing the circuit (the sensor has power going to it that then feeds power to the alarm module and ultimately the horn - when you have "enough" oil in the tank the sensor (switch) is "off", when the oil is low, the magnet effectively turns the switch "on" - power gets fed to the horn and "beeeeeeep".

The alarm module is likewise connected to the temp sensor in the block. It's also a resistance sensor - when it gets "hot" the circuit closes and sends power to the alarm module and you likewise get a "beeeeeeep".

So are you asking about the "oil sensor" or the "alarm module"? - there is no oil level "module"...

I know where the oil level switch and the temperature sender are located. Neither of these two are currently connected to any module in the engine. The oil reservoir is almost full but the switch contacts are closed when checked with my ohmmeter. This leads me to believe that the switch is defective. And probably the reason it was disconnected by the previous owner. The temp sender is connected to a tan/blue striped wire that goes to the center console throttle control. The parts diagram shows an "Oil Level Module" p/n 14857A-6 ($160). My question is where does this module mount? There is no module in my 60 hp Mariner.

The module you are looking for is located just below/beside the oil pump kinda hidden in the lower cowl. (see pic)

.module.jpg

If you are seeing a "closed circuit" on the oil level sensor (at the tank) then most likely the magnetic float is toast. That is a very common issue. There is no "replacement" for that float alone, you must replace the whole tank assembly which is why it is often disconnected when it goes "flooey".

You spend a whole lot of money to get a functioning sensor that only tells you if you have oil in the tank, not if the pump is actually working. Only you can decide if it's worth the bucks basically for an "oil level gauge". If the pump fails or you get a busted line, as long as their is oil in the tank you get NO warning.

Back