Logo

'96 Mariah Talari wiring issue - gauges acting crazy after new engine install

mike523

Long story short, bought this boat and almost immediately ended up replacing the motor. 4.3 Mercruiser. Alpha 1 Gen 2.

Upon getting the boat back. hooked it up to the hose in the yard and noticed tach and temp gauges were not working at all. Turned our thermostat sending wires were backwards, switched them around and temp gauge worked again.

Still no tach but wanted to get the boat on the water and make sure she ran ok so I took her out and everything seemed ok for about a half hour and then suddenly gauges went berserk. PSI went from 40-80, temp suddenly maxed out, fueled went from 1/2 tank UP to 3/4 tank. It scared me a bit and I shut her down right away. Then noticed that 3 of the gauge needles were still bumping and wiggling even with the boat turned off so I figure there is possibly a loose wire or a ground issue somewhere? Started her back up and headed back to the dock, halfway there the gauges went back to "normal" (still not 100% functional but reading normal temp and PSI at least).

So I've got 2 issues:

1. How do I troubleshoot my tach?
2. How do I troubleshoot this apparent wiring/ground issue?

That sound like a big task Mike, you need by star unplugging all gauges, get your engine running and star plugging one buy one and see if there is one that is in short, the tack you have to look in your harness for a grey wire and follow to see if it is even plug, it takes patient and knowledge, check all connections and ground.

That sound like a big task Mike, you need by star unplugging all gauges, get your engine running and star plugging one buy one and see if there is one that is in short, the tack you have to look in your harness for a grey wire and follow to see if it is even plug, it takes patient and knowledge, check all connections and ground.

May be a moot point now, pretty sure the engine seized up on me today...

sorry to hear, but if you have to pull the engine out that could be a good point to start troubleshooting the electrical.

Back