Logo

How screwed am I

Lewis Moller

I have a 1987 150 ZR2. The oil supply lines from the motor reservoir and the injector pump broke while I was at 5,000 rpm yesterday.
I felt the motor loose power and I heard a faint knock/rattle so I shut it down. The motor wouldn't crank until after sitting for about 5 minutes. Of course I didn't know the oil line was broken until I limped back to the dock (10 minutes at 2,500 rpm.) The the knock/rattle got a little louder but didn't seem to be RPM dependent and we weren't running hot. The rattle sounds like a something is in a cylender. Did I toast the motor runing it without full mixture of oil for that limited amount of time? Can I replace the supply lines and try running it to see if the oil makes the knock go away? I

Do a compression test.----------I think this is going to be an expensive lesson on doing a look around / maintenance on an outboard motor !

Tested the compression. 90 LBS in 5 of 6. Zero in the middle cylinder of the Left bank. $1 of plastic tubing and zip ties could have saved me the cost of fixing the problem. What should I expect to find and how much should it cost me?

You need to tear the motor down and give it a good eyeball. If the crank is shot your probably better off replacing the powerhead than repairing it. Sounds like you threw a connecting rod and more than likely scored the cylinder walls. You wont know till you break it down.

It is always a good idea to carry a couple of quarts of TCW to add to the fuel tank if the injection system fails and you are lucky enough catch it in time.

Back