Logo

1991 40hp merc classic fresh rebuild problems.

Ferrucci

I had the powerhead rebuilt at a local engine shop, I rebuild the carbs, fuel pump, installed a red stator kit, new switch box, new plug wires, new impeller. I noticed that cylinder 1 and 2 seemed to be leaner then 3 and 4, but cylinder 1 I am more concerned with as it seems to be the most lean and have a spiderweb type pattern on the center of the piston. Water temp gets up to about 110F cruising between 4000 4500 rpm to stay on plane (just bought a larger prop to try out today). The motor has about 100 liters through it. Today did a quick inspection and sealed up the welch plugs on the carbs, balance tube nipples, and found a hole in the bleeder line and replaced it, I also cleaned out the check valve. Is it normal for these engines to run richer from top to the bottom cylinder? Also I cant seem to find any info about a actual engine block temp sending unit for this this motor or if there even is one. I also can't find any info about where the overheat sensor for the warning module used to be.

Last edited:
Back