Logo

Forgot drain plug today

oortiz

Forgot drain plug boat took on water don't know how much? Other than it was high enough that I saw it in the middle of storage compartments. Anyone know what kind of damage I could have done? Boat seems fine just wondering if water could have made it way inside fuel tank?

If the water didn't get over the battery or cover any electrical wiring terminals... it's very unlikely that you have any problems at all.

The fuel tank, think about it..... If water was able to get in it, you would have a gas/water problem every time it stormed. Also, if water was able to get in it, the gasoline vapors would have a field day escaping (nothing else smells like that), and the first guy that lit up a cigar... your boat, along with the cigar smoker would be long gone! :)

Get the boat up on a plane and then pull the plug and let the water out, unless it got into the doublebottom there is probably little damage if any. The key is get the water out quick as possible and let it dry out.

Couple times myself note to self buy extra plugs:) last year drove 50 miles to launch boat and remembered plug was left on back steps of house.

we all have done it..over the years I have developed a launch routine...first of all I want no help or talking or distraction of any kind..i,and I alone will, prepare the boat for launch...I store the drain plug the same place I store the tie down straps..when the straps go to storage the plug comes out..i also have a spare plug laying in the battery compartment...then when I am ready to launch I take 30 seconds or so and look at the rig and mentally go over everything..i do not launch with anyone in the boat or holding a bow line...especially the wife holding the line on a slick landing..i have known too many people slipping and falling on a slick part of the landing...I tie the bow line about half way back on the trailer..back in and stop kinda abruptly and the boat slides off...the go forward a bit until you can get to where it is tied without getting feet wet..i learned this trick from watching commercial fishermen who fish alone...
there is another routine I go through when the boat is hooked up at home and getting ready for the road...
there is another routine for a good fishing partner that don't take care of his rig...just tell him that you will never get in his boat again and tell him why...

Back