Logo

Old V6 200 Black Max, New Gearbox?...

Edward Harding

Might I pick your brains?

Below is a picture of an old Black Max 200hp (OLD MERC) which I purchased recently, engine is good, but have found the gearbox to be a mess.

OLD MERC.jpg

Would anyone know if a slightly more modern Black Max gearbox (shown in the pic below 'V6') would align its bolts/shaft onto the old Black max leg?

V6.jpg

Many thanks...

That's a 1st generation motor and need to be sure its a 200hp. Look on the outeredge of the cylinder heads and you will see a stamping that will be : 3-1/8=150/175 or 3-3/38=200hp. I would put a 2:1 ratio unit on it to give it some low end grunt as its a powerhead rated motor. Expect results like a Xr4 150hp....

That's a 1st generation motor and need to be sure its a 200hp. Look on the outeredge of the cylinder heads and you will see a stamping that will be : 3-1/8=150/175 or 3-3/38=200hp. I would put a 2:1 ratio unit on it to give it some low end grunt as its a powerhead rated motor. Expect results like a Xr4 150hp....

Thanks, it's says 200hp on the cover, but I can't check the cylinder heads until later in the week as different location.
I'm unsure how I would recognise a 2:1 ratio gearbox for it. The one in the pic 'V6' is from a more recent V6, and as I am struggling to locate a gearbox which is the same age as the engine, then my question is can I make this more recent gearbox fit? The shaft length is the same, but would the shaft and bolt holes align?

Many thanks

Yes a newer will fit. To get ratio mark the propshaft and rotate and count how many turns of driveshaft it take to make propshaft turn one revolution.
Vooming in on your picture it looks to have vertical reeds which will make it a 150/175, a better picture of carbs will tell.

Last edited:
That would be a small diameter Xr4/6 unit(1:78 ratio) and it will be to steep for that old motor..plus you would need a different diameter/pitch prop

Back