Logo

1988 force 50 hp telltale add on

Jerry Moss

I added a telltale on my 88 force 50 hp. I remove a small bolt at top just before the thermostat.. ran a hose to a small insert in motor housing. It sprays really well and adds a degree of comfort. I replaced a long non existent stat that a boat mech told wasn't needed anyway...I find he was wrong. My concern is that the pee is before the water reaches the stat. Is there a possibility that if will prevent the proper amount of water or pressure for the cooling of the motor. It starts out very strong then weakens ...as the stat opens I believe. And more pee as rpm increases. Does the water cool the motor before the stat or after. Just wondering if I did bod instead of good. If anyone is interested in adding one...just get an icemaker hookup...one with a 3/8 valve.

Happy to lead you thru it later. Will post pics and list of parts and method I used. I am not really concerned about it because I have used it quite a bit and all is well. Thinking of selling boat and want to be sure I don't send a potential problem along. I am a lot more comfortable knowing it is pumping good. I used an icemaker kit I had had laying around for 20 years. It was all I needed except for a small nipple for hose to hook too going thru the motor hood.

On top of the head is a silver plug.
That's where the whizzer goes.

The pump if it's good should put out way more water than it takes to cool the motor.

ANYONE who says the thermo isn't needed shouldn't be giving advice or helping anyone.
A college educated engineer designed it and put it there to keep the motor at a optimal operating temp.
The motor uses more fuel while colder and it runs better at a certain temp.

If it overheats when it's installed? then something's wrong in the system.

You CAN buy the wrong thermo. they come in different heat ranges.

Back