Logo

Buying a new outboard

Gibill

Is there a particular place on this forum where outboards are discussed generally. I am in the market for a new outboard motor. I need a 20hp maximum as our lake is restricted. I just bought a Carolina skiff jv17cc and it has a 20hp Mercury. It does not have power tilt and trim. Not sure if the motor will be enough to push the boat. However, spec wise, this boat was about the lightest I could find. With the fixed motor position, I can't trim the prop to get the most out of the motor. Would changing the prop size do anything for me. And how big a change is too big. Also, the power tilt and trim kits, are they worth the money and do they work as well as factory setup?
Thanks for your help

I dont imagine power trim will help much if that is a 17ft boat it will probably not hit much of a plane anyways. Changing the prop pitch is probably the best option you have. Once you decide on the motor try the different trim angles and loading the boat different for the best WOT rpms you can achieve. Then you can determine the prop that is best for your setup.

I dont imagine power trim will help much if that is a 17ft boat it will probably not hit much of a plane anyways. Changing the prop pitch is probably the best option you have. Once you decide on the motor try the different trim angles and loading the boat different for the best WOT rpms you can achieve. Then you can determine the prop that is best for your setup.

I would think it would help a little, but I would also like to have it to eliminate having to climb back there and pull the motor out of the water when I trailer it......as well as have the ability to raise it when I am fishing in the shallows. So my question is whether there is an opinion on the aftermarket kits available to add power tilt and trim to motors that don't have it

There is an aftermarket option (at least one that I am aware of).

A company called CMC makes after market trim packages. They have one for 35 horse and under models (amongst their line up) but it's not cheap - in the $600 range - sold at places like Bass Pro.

The unit is also not "neat" in terms of size ect - your best bet is always "buy what you want up front". This unit will add about 25 pounds to the back of your boat. There may be other options.

Personally, I would put up with the inconvenience of having to tilt the motor manually or replace your current motor - the new 20 horse Merc's "have" power trim. The 20 Merc (now) is built by Tohatsu and they also market their own model if you want to price compare.

As to the question of "is it enough motor", the simple answer is NO. I understand you are operating on a "restricted lake", so 20 horses is your "max". Your boat itself has a hull weight of about 600 pounds - by the time it's rigged and you (and whoever) is onboard with your "stuff" you might be looking at 1200 to 1500 pounds that the motor has to push - a 20 is just "never going to get up and go" no matter what you do to it.

Pushing all that weight will require a prop with "less pitch" then what would be considered "standard" - a 20 would normally be on the back of my 200 pound 14 foot aluminum, not a 16 3/4' 600 pounder. So while less pitch will allow the motor to "operate" in it's designed range (as far as rpms go), you won't get any more speed out of it.

Your particular boat was "designed" to be powered with (minimally) a 35 horse motor (to get it to perform as designed) or more practically, 40 horses (it's max rating).

If you are going to operate your rig under the restrictions you mention, there just isn't much you can do to make it work "like you want it to" - it's just not capable...

Back