Logo

Converting 1986 ELJ40 to a 50 Horse

It wouldn't surprise me. I ran a Suzuki 75 2-stroke for several years on my prior boat and the only difference between it and the 85 was the carbs. However, the cost to replace the 3 carbs with the 85HP versions wasn't worth it when it came to $'s per HP gained. I've also no idea if the ECU in that engine would have needed to swapped out or re-flashed to work with the new carbs. Maybe someone else here can comment.

It wouldn't surprise me. I ran a Suzuki 75 2-stroke for several years on my prior boat and the only difference between it and the 85 was the carbs. However, the cost to replace the 3 carbs with the 85HP versions wasn't worth it when it came to $'s per HP gained. I've also no idea if the ECU in that engine would have needed to swapped out or re-flashed to work with the new carbs. Maybe someone else here can comment.

No ECU on mine.. I've found carbs on ebay from an '84 that I think are the same, just didn't want to buy them before confirming they will work and are all that's needed. Read somewhere the silencer may be undersized.

Back